App crashes when changing privacy settings

I have an application recording audio in background, but when I go to settings and change some permissions like photos, the application crashes and audio recording is stopped.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of iOSDev09 Down vote post of iOSDev09
7.5k views

Replies

What are the symptoms of this crash? Do you see a crash report generated?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Apparently, this is a poorly documented behavior of iOS. Whenever privacy settings on your app are changed in Settings.app, Springboard will restart the app via SIGKILL. I'd like to know why this is so.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12652502/app-killed-by-sigkill-when-changing-privacy-settings

The technical problem here is that access control is typically checked when you ‘open’ a resource. Think about that in the context of files: if you change permission on a file while a process has the file open, the process can still read and write the file. OTOH user expectation is that, if they change a privacy setting, the change will take place immediately.

But, yes, I agree that this could be documented better. I’d appreciate you filing a bug against the documentation, then posting your bug number here, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi, Is this behaviour still same? I am also facing the same issue.

Hey, Any Updates on this. I am also facing this issue.

AFAIK the upthread description is still accurate. I would love to check on the status of the bugs that got filed about this, but no one posted any bug numbers )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

This also happens for Camera and Microphone settings. I opened a feedback report asking to at least update documentation with reasoning about it. FB9585153

• Thanks for the bug report!

Add a Comment

When user is redirected to the app settings to authorize biometric authentication and return back to app, application automatically restarts itself and logout user out. Any know solutions to this problem? Thanks