3 Replies
      Latest reply: Oct 6, 2016 5:23 AM by antwerpenr RSS
      antwerpenr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It is top of CPU usage on on iMac27 but absent on my MacBook Pro - both running Sierra 10.12.   It is typically around 15-40% and 30% more CPU Time than kernel_task (next highest) over an extended period.

Google search does not bring up very much and nothing useful that I could find...

• Re: What is IDECacheDeleteAppExtension process for?
          eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (6,775 points)

CacheDelete is a subsystem within macOS that cleans up disk space in response to high-level demand for that space.  It’s the back end to the very-rarely-used CSDiskSpaceStartRecovery API.  CacheDelete has a plug-in mechanism whereby various system components can plug in to recover disk space associated with that component.  It looks like Xcode ships with an app extension that implements such a plug-in:

$ find /Applications/Xcode.app -name IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex
          /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex

IMPORTANT While CSDiskSpaceStartRecovery is public API, this plug-in mechanism is not.

I don’t know why this plug-in would be burning through CPU but the general strategy for things like this is:

Please post your bug number here, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
          Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
          let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"