HotspotHelper entitlement not in provisioning profile.

I'm using Xcode 8 and Automatic Provisioning. I'm using HotspotHelper and have the correct entitlements and a provisioning profile that was working. In the provisioning protal I added APN and regenerated all the provisioning profiles, including the ones created by Xcode. When trying to run in debug on a device I get "The executable was signed with invalid entitlements." When I examined the provisioning profile with the security tool the com.apple.developer.networking.networkextension and com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotHelper keys are missing. After trying a few things I decided to delete the provisioning profiles created by Xcode and see if they would be recreated. They were not. When I check the provisioning profiles at ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles that were automatically downloaded by Xcode I find a profile that does not exist on the web portal and still doesn't contain the networking extension entitlements. How can I fix this? I would rather not go back to having to manage my profiles manually but if that is the only way then so be it. 😢

Replies

If you’re using special entitlements, like

com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotHelper
, you will have to manually manage your code signing. Xcode’s entitlement handling is focused on the App ID; does not have any way to deal with special entitlements added via a provisioning profile template.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I am also facing the same issue.

I added Wireless Accessory Configuration and com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotHelper in the Entitlements.

Also I created an App Identifier with Wireless Accessory Configuration entitlement and created an associated Provisioning Profile.

And I changed the Signing to Manual, still I'm facing the above issue.

I haven't answered the Questionnare at https://developer.apple.com/contact/network-extension, is this mandatory for deploying the App in Enterprise App store as well?

Or am I missing anything in the above steps?

is this mandatory for deploying the App in Enterprise App store as well?

Yes. With regards special entitlements (those that must be specifically granted by Apple, the relevant one here being

com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotHelper
), there’s no difference between In-House (Enterprise) teams and Organization (or Individual) teams: The team must be specifically granted access to the special entitlement.

ps If you’re trying to use

NEHotspotHelper
to do accessory configuration then you’re going to be disappointed. See this post for the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"