10.12.1 b2 botches keyboard

I installed the beta today and it botched my external keyboard. I use a MS keyboard at my desk. The update "forgot" about swapping the command/alt keys. Also, my "a" key no longer works. Rebooting doesn't help. I downloaded the installers from direct links and can't get any of them to run. Some "missing components" error. Ideas other than rolling back to the official 10.12.0 release?

Accepted Reply

Following polyzargone's post, I was also able to get the keyboard working again. Here what I did:

1) Disable SIP (System Integrity Protection). I searched on Google and followed a step-by-step tutorial.

2) Make sure you backup /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin

3) Make sure you have a earlier version of the same file. In my case I asked a friend to send to me (from the final non-beta Sierra 10.12.0)

4) Delete /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin by doing sudo rm -fr /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin

(you will need to type a admin password (and I hope there is no "a" in yours...))

5) Move the earler version to the System's folder. Mine was in Desktop, so I did: sudo mv Desktop/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin /System/Library/HIDPlugins

6) Restart.

7) Enabled SIP again.

Replies

Same issue here... French (AZERTY) keyboard. i = g and g = i. q don't working...

Don't works with Thunderbolt Display and wired keyboard neither. I can't work on my MBP at this time : switch to Windows until the next update (thanks Bootcamp).

It's strange, because when i have to open my session, my keyboard works perfectly.

Same here, had to change HDD to an older one with capitan in order to use the computer, since sierra multimedia keys were not working on third party keyboards for me, now A key does not work, G, H and I are swapped, some times system runs really hot, sometimes it gets stuck on CPU lower speed...

Sierra is really broken...

The solution that worked for me was to rollback the /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin from 10.12.1 B1 or 12.12.0 in Sierra 12.12.1 B2.

Please, can you explain better how to do this?

So, if I understand, this solution worked to solve problems with your keyboard?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks, can you kindly post your working version of this file here?

Following polyzargone's post, I was also able to get the keyboard working again. Here what I did:

1) Disable SIP (System Integrity Protection). I searched on Google and followed a step-by-step tutorial.

2) Make sure you backup /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin

3) Make sure you have a earlier version of the same file. In my case I asked a friend to send to me (from the final non-beta Sierra 10.12.0)

4) Delete /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin by doing sudo rm -fr /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin

(you will need to type a admin password (and I hope there is no "a" in yours...))

5) Move the earler version to the System's folder. Mine was in Desktop, so I did: sudo mv Desktop/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin /System/Library/HIDPlugins

6) Restart.

7) Enabled SIP again.

Hi, I found a way, so HERE IS THE SOLUTION FOR THE KEYBOARD!

Turn of you mac

Now turn on in recovery mode (+R keys when turning on).

On the top of the screen, click on "Utilities tab" and choose Terminal.

Write "csrutil disable" in terminal and press enter

Then reboot your mac and login with your user account

Now go to System/Library/HIDPlugins/ and replace "IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin" with this one: IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin.zip

Now enter in recovery mode again and in terminal write "csrutil enable" and press enter.

Now the problem should be fixed with the keyboard 🙂

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337333/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin.zip

Instructions:

1.) You need to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP)

2.) Replace the IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin file.

3.) Re-enable SIP

Here are instructions on how to disable/re-enable SIP: https://www.macbartender.com/system-item-setup/

Little note: It isnt' fixed until you re-enable SIP. You might think that after replacing the IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin file and a restart it should work but it didn't for me until I re-enabled SIP.

Can you post the earlier version please ? 🙂

I have a very similar issue... "A" types nothing, "G" and "I" type "H" and none of my Control, Option, or Command keys work.

This fixed it for me, too.

If you already have the earlier verson of IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin somewhere on your disk you can also do the rollback using the terminal while booted into recovery console and avoid SIP. I didn't check to see of the version of the file in recovery console was still a previous version which would allow you to copy it from there without needing to find a previous version. Either way, you can access your boot volume in the /Volumes directory while in recovery console.

I confirm that this solution works!

Here is a copy of IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin extracted from Sierra non-beta installation

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7vNqB86p67FbHVPRTRlcjlaVHc/view?usp=sharing

I installed macOS Sierra on another box, though it's not 10.12.1 beta 1, just 10.12, and then I copied the file made the fix. It worked, finally I can use my Filco again.

Here's the link I zipped, in case of any of you need it: http://d.pr/f/1b1hp