10.12.1 b2 botches keyboard

I installed the beta today and it botched my external keyboard. I use a MS keyboard at my desk. The update "forgot" about swapping the command/alt keys. Also, my "a" key no longer works. Rebooting doesn't help. I downloaded the installers from direct links and can't get any of them to run. Some "missing components" error. Ideas other than rolling back to the official 10.12.0 release?

Accepted Reply

Following polyzargone's post, I was also able to get the keyboard working again. Here what I did:

1) Disable SIP (System Integrity Protection). I searched on Google and followed a step-by-step tutorial.

2) Make sure you backup /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin

3) Make sure you have a earlier version of the same file. In my case I asked a friend to send to me (from the final non-beta Sierra 10.12.0)

4) Delete /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin by doing sudo rm -fr /System/Library/HIDPlugins/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin

(you will need to type a admin password (and I hope there is no "a" in yours...))

5) Move the earler version to the System's folder. Mine was in Desktop, so I did: sudo mv Desktop/IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin /System/Library/HIDPlugins

6) Restart.

7) Enabled SIP again.

Replies

Reset the PRAM and ran ********. Nothing fixed this. I'm kinda scared to try to install the official release over the top of a beta, especially with the firmware update. So... I pulled out my old "nasty" Apple flat keyboard. My wrists are already yelling at me but at least I can work.

The last beta update broke the keyboard layout badly.

Installed the 10.12.1 beta on my iMac and it really did a number on the keyboard layout...

Use 3rd party keyboards, one with usb and another with bluetooth and none of them work now as they should.

The following keys are not working as they should:

a = not working (Great for passwords with a in it 😝 )

h = i

j = h

And the following keys have always been misplaced and still are:

§ = <

< = §

Plus unable to pair an Apple bluetooth keyboard with the latest beta as well, so I can't use my iMac except with the mouse.

I get the same thing with my 3rd party mechanical keyboard. Modifiers were reset to the defaults, 'a' key does nothing, 'h' and 'i' swapped. Was fine in 10.12.1 b1. Old Apple Pro keyboard works OK.

I filed a radar.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of SJB Down vote reply of SJB

Same problem here with a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. Using an old Apple keyboard works. Unpairing/repairing doesn't change anything.

Exact same symptoms:

* A not working

* H & I swapped

Tried filing a bug, getting JSON/RAW error ...

same here with Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard

Same problem here.

"a" is not working "g" (not "h")is swapped with "i".

I've tried to install the latest official (not beta) but i cannot do it because the beta version is newer.

Hope this will be solved soon.

I'm also seeing the same problem with a Filco USB keyboard. The internal keyboard and an Apple external keyboard work fine. Have filed radar #28513850.

Same as you...

"A" key doesn't work, "G" and "I" are inverted...

Will the next release fix this, or should we re-install?

Same. Corsair mechanical keyboard.

Likewise using MS Sculpt. Issue does not occur at login window or in Recovery Mode.

I am using a Filco USB keyboard, same problem, A not working, H and I have been swapped. Really nasty bug, killing me now.

Same for me on MacBook Pro. I was about to set up the system again, glad i found this thread. Internal keyboard works as intended. The previous generation wireless external Keyboard doesn't, a doesnst work and for german keyboard layout h and i are switched.

Curiously, if I remove the batteries, wait for the Mac to realize the connection drop and add them again and pressing the a button endless times until it is connected again, it registrates like 6-8 a's (tested in a chat window) until suddenly a doesnt work anymore.

Same problem. USB Magicforce 68 Mechanical.

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard works fine. Glad I have a backup.

Sent Feedback to Apple through Feedback Assistant (purple thingy)

One finding, not all external USB keyboards are not working correctly, I pluged in a old DELL usb keyboard and it's ok.

I tried to deleted `/Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist` and reboot to make sure sierra can ask for confirmation on the FILCO keyboard again, but still no luck.

Just ordered another Mechanic keyboard, see if I got luck or not. This is really a nasty bug...

hve similr issue

i&g r switched

lt 2011 mbp

works in bootcmp

works prior to unencrypting hd during strt