backtraces on memory debugging with iPhone

When I run an iPhone app, and enable the memory graph visual debugger, the inspector backtraces all say "Retrieving stack logs is not supported for this target device / OS."

After some searching around, I've turned on Scheme > Run > Diagnostics > Logging > Malloc Stack, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

Suggestions? It's hard to look into these objects without knowing where they were allocated.

Thanks,

- Geoffrey

Replies

Is the device running iOS 10? That's a requirement for retrieving backtraces from processes running on the device.

If the device is running iOS 10, then it sounds like you've encountered a bug. If you could grab a sysdiagnose* from the device and your Mac when this happens and file a report at bugreport.apple.com, it would be much appreciated.

* Details on how to do this are available at https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/721/?time=2441

Ah -- it's not. It's iOS 9, still waiting on my iPhone 7 Plus, sadly. Thanks!

I've just tried again with an iOS 10 iPad Air (1), and -- same problem. This is the setting I enabled:

Edit Scheme > Run > Diagnostics > Logging, Malloc Stack

Ran on the iPad, clicked into the memory graph debugger, and in the inspector under Backtrace, I still see "Malloc stack logging is not enabled for this process."

Anything else I should do or check?

Bizarre -- I just filed the radar, fired up the memory debugger again, and this time, backtraces for the first time. No idea why.