WARNING: Xcode.app version (8.0) and Xcode Command Line Tools version (7.3) are not compatible.

I am still running El Capitan (10.11.6) and updated to XCode 8.0 via App Store.

When attempting to run fink from command line I get the warning:

WARNING: Xcode.app version (8.0) and Xcode Command Line Tools version (7.3) are not compatible.

Is it safe to continue? If not, how do I update Command Line Tools to version 8.0?

Thanks,

jdw13

Accepted Reply

The Known Issues section for Command Line Tools in the Xcode 8.1 release notes seems to state that Xcode 8 will never have a 10.11 Command Line Tools.

Command Line Tools

There is no Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 8 package. Xcode 8 contains SDKs that are incompatible with earlier toolchains. Developers who want to make use of the Xcode 8 SDKs from the command line must choose the SDK with xcode-select. Developers on OS X El Capitan who have installed versions of the Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 8 Beta should install Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 7.3.1. (28234439)

On OS X El Capitan, running Swift from the command line can fail if any Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) package is installed on the system. (28234754)

Workaround: Execute Swift through from the command line using xcrun, . Choose the macOS SDK using the -sdk. For example, the following command compiles the file main.swift:

xcrun -sdk macosx swiftc main.swift

Replies

>how do I update Command Line Tools to version 8.0?

There are no compatible CL tools for Xcode 8 on El Capitan 10.11.x available at this time.

I have reported this

Bug ID 28356077 Xcode 8 installs on El Capitan

Could you submit a duplicate of this issue to Open Radar as well so that others can view it?

When are the 8.0 CLI Tools going to be released for El Capitan?

Most likely there won't be any until the 8.1 release. Using the required 10.12 SDK in / entirely escaped the Xcode 8 beta test cycle so that would be a major departure from how the previous Command Line Tools were built (using the same SDK as the operating system).

The Known Issues section for Command Line Tools in the Xcode 8.1 release notes seems to state that Xcode 8 will never have a 10.11 Command Line Tools.

Command Line Tools

There is no Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 8 package. Xcode 8 contains SDKs that are incompatible with earlier toolchains. Developers who want to make use of the Xcode 8 SDKs from the command line must choose the SDK with xcode-select. Developers on OS X El Capitan who have installed versions of the Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 8 Beta should install Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) for Xcode 7.3.1. (28234439)

On OS X El Capitan, running Swift from the command line can fail if any Command Line Tools (OS X 10.11) package is installed on the system. (28234754)

Workaround: Execute Swift through from the command line using xcrun, . Choose the macOS SDK using the -sdk. For example, the following command compiles the file main.swift:

xcrun -sdk macosx swiftc main.swift

The release note does not state "never"

Fink should remove their scary warning. There's no incompatibility.

The Command Line Tools package is made up of two deliverables:

1) DevSDK

2) Toolchain

#1 is the set of headers installed at /

#2 is the toolchain installed at /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

There is no difference between the DevSDK between the Xcode 7.3 and the Xcode 8.0 beta command line tools packages (the content is based on the OS version, not the tools version).

The only difference between the packages is in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools, but if you have Xcode 8 installed, there is absolutely no need for the content in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools (and you could even just delete it if you wanted to save disk space). It's competely redundant to the toolchain inside of Xcode.app. The only way you would use it is if you pointed xcode-select at it instead of at Xcode.app.

As such, there's really no incompatibiltiy. There's no huge problem. fink should just remove their warning to stop scaring users.

Not really any point to use openradar. My reply is at the botton. Basically, fink should stop scaring users about things that aren't problems.