Instruments does not report counters for iOS application.

I am trying to instrument an application on my iphone to measure cache performance (using Counters on Instruments). I was initially unable to profile iOS applications, but follwoing https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/16242 , I am now able to profile using my macbook air. Now when I add any hardware events to the profiling run, even though Instruments starts tracing, it does not show any sampled events. Basically, I see the timer in Instruments increasing while the Counters trace is blank (no bars plotted).

Surprisingly, I am able to profile when no hardware event is added. I see recorded CPU times bars in the Counters trace.

Here are my device info:

Desktop: Macbook air 2014 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Iphone: iphone6s with iOS 9.3.2

Instruments version: 7.3.1

hardware event: Adding any hardware event results in blank trace

Replies

The same thing happens after upgrading to iOS10 (with Iphone7) and xcode 8. I also export the instrument output as csv file and it's empty. No samples have been taken.

If no data is appearing then something isn't recording on the device quite right. You'll have to file a radar and include your host and device logs (along with all the information you provided here), so we can look into what is going on. Include exactly what actions you perform; the more detailed the easier it will be for us to reproduce the problem. Thanks.