Relaunch the terminated application to get the location

Hi,

I need to run the application to get the location and to send it to the server every 5 mniutes. Need to do this even after user force quit the appliaction.

How to get the location continuously in the background, and how to send it to the server every 5 minutes even after terminate the application.

Note: I am working on location related application.

Please let me know is it possible to do the above.

Thanks in advance

Replies

It’s not possible to meet these requirements on iOS. See this thread for more context.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi eskimo,

what if i use Significant location changes in google maps, will it triggers the terminated application?

From the thread you reffered:

Even if you ignore the above, iOS does not provide a general way for apps to run periodically in the background. "There are specific mechanism that do allow you to run in the background", but no general purpose way to get background execution time every N minutes.

In your thread you have mentioned that "There are specific mechanism that do allow you to run in the background".

can you give me a references for this if any??

Thanks in advance.

what if i use Significant location changes in google maps, will it triggers the terminated application?

I honestly don’t remember which of the launch-in-the-background technologies currently launch an app that’s been terminated by the user. The exact list has changed a bunch of times over the years.

Regardless, significant location change won’t help you meet your requirement because you can’t guarantee that the user will move their device regularly.

In your thread you have mentioned that "There are specific mechanism that do allow you to run in the background".

These are the

UIBackgroundModes
discussed in App Programming Guide for iOS. Keep in mind that each of these is intended for some specific user-level functionality, which means that:
  • they aren’t really suitable for your general requirements (there are edge cases that makes sense in the context for which they were intended to be used but will cause problems in the general case)

• App Review looks at their use carefully (per clause 2.5.4 of the App Store Review Guidelines)

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi eskimo,

Thanks for your response.

May i know is it possible to run the application in background continuously.

Atleast can i get the location in that way(application in background) for every 5 min.

Thanks in advance