Teaching with Swift Playgrounds

Are you planning to use the new Swift Playgrounds app for iPad and the Swift Playgrounds Teacher Guide to teach coding? Use this thread to share plans and feedback and to ask questions about these materials. #swiftedu

Replies

Hi all,

I'd be interested in teaming up with a few people at putting together a module in Swift for the Hour of Code initiative. Has anyone thought about doing something similar?

@rsaeks

Great idea!

I used the materials found at https://swifteducation.github.io/teaching_app_development_with_swift/ in a course last year and found them to be excellent. Do you know if development (i.e. updating for iOS10) will continue on those or are Playground the new direction teachers should look at.

Thanks,

Brian

We are starting this week using both simulateneously. I wanted to make sure that students captured the code language at the same time they were practicing the newly acquired skills/vocabulary in Swift Playground. I went through the lessons and made a student book to capture their learning, vocabulary, and what they are learning. I made it more of a journal, but love the Hour of Code idea someone mentioned as well. PS: The videos in Learn to Code 1 and 2 are really great. I love that they are short, but packed with information that will be easy for these 5th graders to understand who might be new to coding. I learned so much myself this weekend going through them all.

I would love to help.

Wanted to point you all to this resource which you may find useful if you are using Swift Playgrounds in the classroom:

buildingrainbows.com/swift-playgrounds-videos/