Connecting to wifi sensors while keeping cellular active

I'm trying to figure out how to connect to a small embedded wireless device over wifi while keeping the celluar data connection active to log sensor data to a server. Is there an API that lets me create a wifi hotspot for the sensor to connect to the phone without requiring the user to configure network stuff manually?

Or maybe the sensor can act as a soft AP and the phone can connect to it for a small amount of time to retrieve the latest reading.

Is this actually possible to do without manual user configuration?

Replies

Is there an API that lets me create a wifi hotspot for the sensor to connect to the phone without requiring the user to configure network stuff manually?

No.

Or maybe the sensor can act as a soft AP and the phone can connect to it for a small amount of time to retrieve the latest reading.

Is this actually possible to do without manual user configuration?

No.

What you’re looking for here is some form of peer-to-peer Wi-Fi. Apple platforms support this (subject to caveats) but this only works between Apple platforms. This restriction has been discussed before on DevForums; a good place to start is this post.

The standard workaround is something you’ve already considered: have the accessory create its own access point. This works, but the final user experience is less than ideal. This post explains the details.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"