iPad resource images not being shown

If I uncheck "Universal" from an asset's devices checkbox and provide different image assets for iPhone and iPad, the iPad image is never shown.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create a sample project

2. Create a new image asset

3. Remove "Universal" from devices and check iPhone and iPad

4. Set different image assets for iPhone and iPad

5. On Storyboard create a button and set its image to the new asset

6. Try on simulator

Tested on iPhone 6s Plus and iPad Air 2 simulators.

Has anybody come across this issue?

Accepted Reply

Thanks for bringing this issue up, we've confirmed it on our side and fortunately there's an easy workaround you can apply. The issue is that for the Messages Extension the "Targeted Device Family" is set to "1" where it should be set to "1,2". You can either edit that target on the MessagesExtension target, or you can set it at the project level. Holler if you have trouble getting it to work correctly.

Replies

Are you talking about in an Asset Catalog for an iMessage app? Looking at this just in the storyboard editor when I switch between iPhone and iPad layouts it seems to be working fine. I'll have to try it on my devices but if it works in the storyboard editor and not on device (or in the simulator) then that seems like a bug and would be good to get written up with a small sample project attached showing the issue.

It works in the Storyboard, but when I try on the simulator the image doesn't show up. I filed a bug report (#28159245) with a sample project.

Thanks for bringing this issue up, we've confirmed it on our side and fortunately there's an easy workaround you can apply. The issue is that for the Messages Extension the "Targeted Device Family" is set to "1" where it should be set to "1,2". You can either edit that target on the MessagesExtension target, or you can set it at the project level. Holler if you have trouble getting it to work correctly.