Request: Ability to follow forum users

In the old forums, I was able to subscribe to a person and get an email notification whenever that person posted something. Doing this may seem like stalking, but I used this to follow a few of my favorite Apple engineers on various teams and found it was a great way to stay up to date with current developments in the topics that interested me. I found a bunch of great topics this way that I would never have seen otherwise.

I’d love it if you could add this feature to the new forums. Thanks!

Accepted Reply

I just noticed that if you hover over a given user's face/avatar/icon, there is an now an option there to 'follow'.

>I wonder if whoever redesigned this new forum, really and truly has produced the best possible solution to developer needs?

I'm fairly certain that Apple knows it doesn't communicate well at our level. Only time will tell if that can be improved.

Replies

there seams to be alot of hidden functionality with the forums. I wonder why it has to be hidden, i've been a member for over a year and just noticed the hover. there is alot of extra white space on each page. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to fill that white space alittle, like just have a button below each username.

Also stuff like this is extra bad for people who work alot out of the office, I personally have satellite connection at home, and frequently go out to use public wifi.

frequent problems with slow loading pages on this forum

The forums are an off the shelf package from JIVE Software, primarily designed for Linux I think. Apple doesn't seem to show any interest in configuration, etc. and tends to act more like a user than an active admin.