Xcode 7.3 and Swift 2.2 after Xcode 8 and Swift 2.3

Hello, if anyone at Apple could answer.

I understand that Xcode 8 will be released this Fall, and Swift 2.3 / 3.0 is the supported version.

After the release, what's going to happen to Xcode 7.3, Swift 2.2 and App Store submission? Are we not allowed to submit apps with Xcode 7.3 and Swift 2.2?

Because I think not everyone will be able to commit to parallel swift 2.3 / 3.0 migration together with development with swift 2.2, because it's more productive to do development with a stable version. Also we have to migrate 3rd party source code.

Accepted Reply

After the release, what's going to happen to Xcode 7.3, Swift 2.2 and App Store submission?

The only folks who can definitively answer this is App Review, and AFAIK they’ve not published any guidance for this. Historically App Review has not immediately required that folks submit using the new tools, but you can only go so far predicting future behaviour based on past behaviour (-:

I can say that migrating to Swift 2.3 is really easy. That’s the whole reason it exists.

Moreover, Xcode 7 is not supported on macOS 10.12, so make sure you make the move to (at least) Swift 2.3 before updating your Mac.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

After the release, what's going to happen to Xcode 7.3, Swift 2.2 and App Store submission?

The only folks who can definitively answer this is App Review, and AFAIK they’ve not published any guidance for this. Historically App Review has not immediately required that folks submit using the new tools, but you can only go so far predicting future behaviour based on past behaviour (-:

I can say that migrating to Swift 2.3 is really easy. That’s the whole reason it exists.

Moreover, Xcode 7 is not supported on macOS 10.12, so make sure you make the move to (at least) Swift 2.3 before updating your Mac.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"