My iMessage isn't working. About 70% of my conversations cannot be opened, as the app crashes. Any ideas to fix it?

Every time I try to open my iMessage app, some conversations will not open and the app immediately crashes. This problem has been on and off for approx. one month and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

Where is it crashing? You'll want to be running in the debugger and see what's happening at the time of the crash.

I have the same issue. The extension appears and then immediately disappears without giving any logs. The normal iMessage input field also disappears and I have to go back to all the conversations, open another conversation and try again. My app crashes about 4 out of 5 times. I don't think it's a problem with my app but with iOS itself becasue I could not get around it and it doesn't display any logs.

Any help would be appreciated.

What you're describing is consistent with what happens when an iMessage extension crashes. You need to run your extension in the debugger and see why it is stopping.

This happens consistently with the debbuger attached. The debugger doesn't stop and doesn't display any logs. The only logs that could be interesting (but maybe not reated to my iMessage extension) are:

Failed to inherit CoreMedia permissions from 20417: (null)
subsystem: com.apple.BackBoardServices.fence, category: Observer, enable_level: 1, persist_level: 0, default_ttl: 0, info_ttl: 0, debug_ttl: 0, generate_symptoms: 0, enable_oversize: 0, privacy_setting: 0, enable_private_data: 0
[MC] System group container for systemgroup.com.apple.configurationprofiles path is /Users/patrickbalestra/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/2A1F73AA-01C6-45E6-A085-2E1989D88267/data/Containers/Shared/SystemGroup/systemgroup.com.apple.configurationprofiles
[MC] Reading from private effective user settings

No crash line, no exception, nothing 😟

EDIT: I found the issue by trying reach line of my code. The line that was driving iOS crazy in viewDidAppear was:

textView.becomeFirstResponder()

I just wanted to automatically make the keyboard appear but there doesn't seem to be a supported way to do it for now.

• Were you in expanded mode or compact mode at the time? Compact mode has no way to fit the UI above the keyboard as they take the same space.

Add a Comment

You should file a bug report, and please attach a test project or at least a .ipa that exhibits this behavior.