Sierra beta 4 running high cpu Usage

MBPr, 13 inch, mid 2014

Sierra beta 4 is running the fans constantly, even with no open applications. Highest prcesses are bird, cloudd, calendarAgent, and calendarNCservice. normal fan levels are around 1400-1500 rpm but these processes cause the fans to spin between 3000-4000 rpm, with the CPU spiking over 70 degrees celcius.

Tried a clean install then attempted to load a backup, encountered the same issue, and then attempted to go at the issue with a clean install. Even tried creating a new user without icloud and the services were still performing out of respectable reange. Restored back to El Cap and the issue resolved. I know it must have to do with icloud drive. any fix for this?

Replies

Hi wegface. Thank you for sharing the hint. Process stopped here too. 🙂

I killed the process with the command: "launchctl stop com.apple.photoanalysisd"

Same... CPU sat at 140-170% usage for the photoanalysisd process. The photolibraryd process also sits around 5-12%.

Yup! Same thing here.

I had issues with Sierra Beta 2 as well, Beta 3 seemed to make the system run much faster and better with well over 55% RAM available at most times however with the 4th Beta Photoanalysd takes up well over 100+% of CPU usage with temperatures of 140*+ with fans running at 6199 rpms.

Resported it to apple. Tried to kill the application but not successful not even with FORCE QUIT!!

Tried... nothing.

Mine are not O365 related, The fan issue persists even after a clean reinstall of the OS beta 4. I will try again after the next beta comes out. thanks for the response!

Beta 5 still causing overheating after 1 hour iMac felt very hot

Hi ! Im having some success but have to dash to activity monitor to force quit both Photoanalysisd and Photolibraryd .... it .seems to be ok till I restart then I have to repeat to stop my machine from being able to cook chicken 😕 p.s i did this mornings (aug 10th Beta 5) 2gb update ..didnt fix it ...still have to quit processes on start up ...cheers

Both photoanalysisd and photolibraryd were sat around 60% cpu usage, with my MacBook Pro running hot any additional load caused the fans to spin up to full speed ~6200rpm.

Deleting '/Users/*username*/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary' has stopped both processes running at high cpu, they're both at 0% now. Obviously this is only a fix if you don't use the Photos app for organising your photos. For those that do, perhaps backing up 'Photos Library.photoslibrary' and deleting the original will serve as a temporary fix, until Apple sorts out this bug.

Using beta 6, this morning after opening Photos (and quitting), I noticed high fans and sluggish behavior and found photoanalysisd at over 140% CPU. Force quit with Activity monitor, back to normal.

****. thats bad news. i thought upgrading to Beta 6 would atleast solve those issues.

I completely emptied out my Photos library and now both photoanalysisd and photolibraryd processes have disappeared.

It is a process of facial recognition of your photos. It takes hours depending on how many photos you have.

for me it is Safari being gluttonous with the CPU

I just recently updated my macbook pro OS from El Capitan to Sierra.

That process, photoanalasysd keeps coming up whenever i open Safari or Google Chrome application and visit any site, gaming site,news site etc. Does the facial recognicion appear whenever there are "faces" to identify" on the particular site? haha absurd thought maybe. When i check the acitivity monitor , the photoanalasysd uses over 180% of the cpu and makes the fan go over 4000 rpm. If i force quit the process, it will reappear again in a matter of seconds as long as i have a web browser application open. I hope there is a permanent solution to this or if Apple are under way with new updates..because i just recently upgraded my five years old Macbook Pro with SSD and a set of new 8GB of RAM (i hardly believe that's the reason, it worked fine with El Capitan).