Haptic feedback in background

I'm trying to figure out how to make the watch vibrate while the screen is dimmed.

Got a countdown timer where user should get a notification when it's up. Unfortunately it's only working if the screen on Apple Watch is on. As soon as the screen goes off, no haptic feedback is working.

PS: The watch app works native without iPhone connection, so the workaround with local notification from iPhone is not an option.

Replies

It is not possible

I have the same issue. I am trying to a workout app and I would like to send alert to the user via haptic feedback while he is training (and not necessarily looking the watch).

I believe Apple makes those kind of restrictions to save battery life, but you end up with a useless device.

Use Local/Remote Notifications instead...

Thanks for your suggestion.

Local notifcation wouldn't help, as I want my app to be usable without the iPhone (same as Apple Workout App) and you can't fire local notification directly on the watch, it has to go through the phone via Connectivity Framework.

I filled a bug report: 25506764

This is a bit concerning, especially with WatchOS 3:

- Apple Breathe keeps the screen on for the whole duration of the breathing session, preventing the app from deactivating

- Workout app plays haptics in background

Neither of these two possibilities are contemplated in the soon-to-be-released WatchKit api.

Am I wrong?

It is intened to work:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/52630