Auto Unlock with Apple Watch

In Beta 2 of Sierra combined with an Apple Watch (watch OS 3 Beta 2) its now possible to aktivate Auto Unlock. I've tried to activate the Checkbox on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and a Error says, that the Mac couldnt find the Apple Watch. The Watch is on, unlocked and on my wrist. After reboot from Mac and Apple Watch, the option to enable Auto Unlock is not shown anymore.

Any ideas about?

Replies

This started working perfectly (so far) in beta 5!

I agree, in beta 5 it has consistently unlocked all my Mac's.

For me with Beta 5 is the same issue ... still be able to pair (maybe more easy) but it always ask for my password ...

if somebody find a way to debug I'm interested ...

I received this reply to bug #27738928. Create a new bug report and attach your sysdiagnose output if it is still happening for you.

Apple Developer Relations11-Aug-2016 12:37 PM

Please provide sysdiagnose output from the affected system(s). Please collect this either while the issue is occurring, or as soon after as possible (for example, take it after a reboot if necessary). Please let us know what you were doing that caused the issue, so we can correlate your actions with the diagnostic output in sysdiagnose. Please try to focus on one or two actions that cause an issue. If you perform many different actions, it will be difficult for us to determine which action caused the sysdiagnose output. Note the date and time of the failure also, please. sysdiagnose Instructions: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/

https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/OS_X/OS_X_Logs/sysdiagnose_Logging_Instructions.pdf

Looking for critical difference between "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)" and "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2013)" if this is going to be the deciding factor for Apple's delineation for auto-unlock.

On my "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)" I have never seen the checkbox to enable the auto-watch unlock. Up to beta 6 on everything now, no dice.

<editorial on options>

But the consolation prize is that Kane's MacID (http://apple.co/2bfxZlv) smokes Apple's implemenation badly. MacID (iOS + macOS app) not only unlocks after thumb print confirmation on phone or button confirmation from secured Apple Watch, it prompts for and enters your password into those infernal dialogs where you are stuck providing administrator access to Keychain constantly during the day of Mac'n. More secure with the confirmation option, more utility in the system overall, works with your iPhone!, and or your iPad!! and or your Apple Watch and any Mac with BT4LE. I was amazed that Apple came out with such a weak implemenation considering Kane's product. They should have "bought Kane" like they did for the SoundJam guys (the beginning of iTunes).

<\editorial on options>

Here are the specs for the "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)"

http://apple.co/2bq5ORb

It sure doesn't seem like anything stands in the way... In fact, my Apple Watch shows up as paired to my Mac now after using "Near Lock". Using MacID now nicely to already unlock my Mac. As long as Apple doesn't disable either MacID or Near Lock, wondering if I care about the macOS version of this feature...

It would be nice to get it working and see the differnce between Apple's integration and the commerical products...

Is your wifi adapter still active? Even though you're connecting to Ethernet, if the wifi is active and connected to a network does unlocking work or not?

You could just make the Ethernet first in the order of devices, so it'll always use it as the default when active, but still have the wifi active, just not primary.

I have iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) running 10.12 Beta (16A313a)

Apple Watch is running watchOS 3.0 Beta 6

I am able to pair but i am unable to unlock... all I get is that "unlocking with Apple Watch" and then it times out and reverts back to the Password box.

getting frustrated....

****UPDATE*****

Okay after a lot of messing around by removing two-factor, re-implementing two-factor, removing passcode from watch then putting it back on, rebooting watch, iMac & iPhone 6s then reimplementing unlock with watch feature multiple times some how with all of that it now works,

So for you guys and girls out there having this issue maybe give this a go.

Best of luck.

For those that can't see the unlock with Apple watch setting in the Settings & Privacy menu, make you that you are logged into your iCloud account on your watch.

On your iPhone, open the companion Watch app, tap My Watch → General → Apple ID and verify your Apple ID is showing.

The same thing happend on my Late 2013 Macbook pro 13', I had to unpair it and the I repaired it again, after that the the check box option was there

I am having Macbook Pro Late 2012, and same thing happening with me.

I am not able to see the option in Security section.

What is the minimum requirement for this feature to work?

Minimum is MacBook Pro mid 2013. You can get the feature if you upgrade your wi-if card

Upgraded my MacBook Pro early 2013 to an 802.11ac wifi and it works great. Bought the card from e-bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/261733200989

I have the same issue (MBPr Early 2013) issue is we only have a Wifi n module. Apple Watch "time of flight" connectivity only communicates with AC Wifi devices from Mid 2013 onwards. Hardware's insufficient for us lot unfortunately.

Same here.