New volumes permissions

Hello,

I noticed that the POSIX permissions of the /Volumes folder have changed in macOS 10.12 Sierra to 1755 (drwxr-xr-x) from 1777 (drwxrwxrwx) in 10.11 Yosemite and before. Additionally, macOS seems to restore the original permission on any reboot even they have been changed.

Does anybody know if this change is "on purpose" and will stay for the future or if this is merely a "glitch" of the beta?

Best regards,

Robert

Replies

Does the operating system still default to ignorance of ownership for locally attached storage e.g. drives on USB?

I wonder whether the change relates to that insecure default.

I've noticed the same issue in B1 and now B2. I have a script that creates directories in /Volumes (mkdir /Volumes/RemoteMount) and then sshfs mounts a few servers. I get 'permission denied' when it tries to mkdir because of the permissions Robert F. mentioned. If I chmod g+w, I can mkdir and mount / umount until the next reboot when the permissions are reset.

B3 still seems to have this behavior.

B4 remains the same.

Rephrasing the earlier question, more specific.

Does the operating system still default to ignorance of ownership for first use of locally attached removable storage?

I've just tried attaching a new USB key and got the following results:

drwxrwxrwx@  1 mattdwen  staff  16384 12 Aug 10:14 USB DISK

I've filed a bug report on this too. Can do an Open Radar as well if anyone is interested?

Thanks. And does the Info window of Finder that that owership is ignored?

Please share an open radar, I'd be happy to duplicate as I'm having issues with this as well.

Under Sharing & Permissions in the Finder Info Window, it only says

You have custom access

Openradar: https://openradar.appspot.com/radar?id=4948585099558912

Apple have closed my bug report, stating:

This issue behaves as intended based on the following: It was requested by security, you can no longer create items in /Volumes unless root.

Great.