extensionContext openURL doesn't work since beta5

In beta4 we could do [extensionContext openURL] to open external links in safari. In beta5 is doesn't work anymore.

Anyone is having that issue?

Accepted Reply

The expected behavior is that the iMessage extension can only open URLs in their parent apps. If that's not something that works for you, please file bug reports with details of what you need.

Replies

@dozoisch - yeah my extensionContext openURL stopped working too. Did you file a bug/radar already?

Unfortunately openURL is not working as expected in Beta 5.

Still not working in Beta 6...

it opens the full app (I have a bundle with the a normal app and a messages extension; it wasn't working in b5 but in b6 the extension opens the full app without any issues)

From https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/49885

So fernando is correct in that the normal app will now launch but nothing else wil launch, including Safari, in Beta 6, which is what the original poster asked (I would like to launch Safari myself)

I'm trying to open Settings App from the Messages extension and It opens the full App, XCode Beta 6. Success param always returns NO

What's the expected behavior? We're relying on the fact that it will be possible to open urls in Safari directly from an iMessage extension and I just want to make sure that the "expected behavior" is not to only allow for links toward the parent app!

Thank you

The expected behavior is that the iMessage extension can only open URLs in their parent apps. If that's not something that works for you, please file bug reports with details of what you need.

I had this problem and I just switched to use a WebView in my iMessage app.

I do this for my Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Hope that helps.

Filled as 28122966

We really need to be able to link to external apps, to be able to open apple maps or tel:// or links inside safari. The behavior of beta4 was perfect for us.

Same problem here.. We really need for users to be able to open the URLs. I guess, now we will be forced to have a parent application just so that it would redirect users links...

If you load a webview in an extension do links work for you?

If I tap on links on the webview inside my extension the webview navigates to the link instead of opening it in safari.

I wish openURL would at least work in expanded mode.

@pdm - so does this mean that our app can't launch the iTunes store/iMessage App store when we detect we have an old version of the app - since that wouldn't be our host app (especially for standalone iMessage Apps)

I have filed radar: 28357670 to request that at least the iMessage app will launch to your app given the right iTunes URL.