Xcode 8 beta 4 - Comment/Uncomment broken

Hi,

Xcode 8 beta 4 release notes say:

"On some systems, the Editor’s Comment/Uncomment Selection command is enabled but does nothing. (27524523)"

"Some systems" includes my brand new retina Macbook Pro running El Capitan obviously.

It's hugely inconvenient.

Has anyone figured out a workaround?

Thanks!

Replies

Same problem here (Cmd-/ not working, it's grayed out in the menu). My colleague has same Mac / OS, but it works for him.

If anyone finds a workaround -> Please share! Thx.

Same problem. 10.11.5 (15F34)

If anyone finds a workaround -> Please share! Thx.

I rebooted, now it is working.

When I started beta 4 it asked me to "install required components" a second time. Don't know if related or not.

Thanks for the info.

Was not working 10min ago. I installed iTunes 12.4.3 and Safari 10.0 seed 4 (all from Mac App Store), then I was prompted to install Xcode 8 tools again. I did. Was still not working. Rebooted once more, and now it is working again \o/

It randomly stops working again. False hope, sorry…

"Some systems" includes my 2012 mac mini. too 🙂

I wonder if there is some file or cache we can delete to get this working again.

So Xcode 8 beta-5 is out today, in the release notes there is this:

Resolved in Xcode 8 beta 5 – IDE

The Editor’s Comment/Uncomment Selection command is functional when enabled. (27524523)

Wow, great! But unfortunately, it is still not working for me. The menu items for comment/uncomment are still greyed out and the shortcut keys do not work either. My question is, what do they mean by "when enabled"? I've never had to "enable" this feature before, it was always available and just always worked. And how would I go about enabling it? I can't find anywhere to do that in the Preferences or menus.

Anyone find out how to make it work? This is a huge issue for me because I use comment/uncomment hundreds of times a day! Making it really difficult to use Xcode 8 for anything. Rebooting after installing beta-5 did not help.

For reference, I'm on a cylinder Mac Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6, writing Swift 2.3 code.

Appears to working correctly now under Xcode 8 beta 5. Was broken for me under beta 4.

Still not working for me either with beta 5

Xcode beta 5 line comment still not working for me either.

I'm in the same boat!

Xcode 8 beta 5, menu comment uncomment still gray, and can't find the enable preference for it, if there is the preference for it;

And I don't quite get it when the Xcode 8 beta 5 documentation says when you enable it, since the Xcode 7 I never set it and it worked well.

Does not work for me either, and I cannot find the option to turn it back on. I agree with @yellowsubmarine it is hugely inconvenient. You get used to using short cuts and when they don't work your whole work flow gets pulled out of sync. Please chime in Apple and let us know how to re-enable this option.

Same, tried rebooting a few times, still busted. Checked Preferences and it says it's in there.

Preferences > Key Bindings shows it under "Editor Menu for Source Code", but there doesn't appear to be any way to turn it (or the part of the menu it resides in) on or off.