Does iOS 10 beta 3 support RAW photo capture on an iPhone 6 Plus (A1524)?

Hi,

I was wondering which devices support RAW photo capture (using AVCapturePhotoOutput) in the current iOS 10 beta 3?

Specifically, I've been unable get the the AVCamManual example to capture RAW photos on an iPhone 6 Plus (A1524).

Upon further inspection, it turns out that querying availableRawPhotoPixelFormatTypes from the AVCapturePhotoOutput object always returns an empty array.

Am I doing something wrong (unlikely, since I've just been running the unmodified AVCamManual sample code), or is RAW capture supposed to be limited to the newest-generation devices (iPhone 6s/6s Plus/...)?

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Reply

I guess the answer to my question is hinted at in the WWDC 2016 Session 505 talk on "Live Photo Editing and RAW Processing with Core Image":

"...we support DNG files such as those captured by our own iOS devices. The iOS devices include the iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, SE, and also the iPad Pro 9.7."

So it's probably safe to assume there will be no raw photo capture support for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Replies

By the way, the reason for asking this question in the first place is that Brad Ford specifically mentioned the iPhone 6 Plus in his WWDC 2016 Session 501 talk on Advances in iOS Photography.

I guess the answer to my question is hinted at in the WWDC 2016 Session 505 talk on "Live Photo Editing and RAW Processing with Core Image":

"...we support DNG files such as those captured by our own iOS devices. The iOS devices include the iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, SE, and also the iPad Pro 9.7."

So it's probably safe to assume there will be no raw photo capture support for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.