ITMS-90644 When uploading app with iMessage stickers.

I get the folling error when trying to upload an app to TestFlight with an iMessage stickers extension with XCode 8.0 beta 3:

ERROR ITMS-90644: "Missing Image Asset. Your app is missing the Large App Icon asset 'iMessage App Icon' in 'Payload/App.app/PlugIns/StickerPackExtension.appex'."

Is ITC accepting TestFlight builds at the moment, or is there something wrong with my extension? I've allocated images to every space in my iMessages App Icon in my .xcstickers bundle.

I did notice though that the various "settings" images and the 1024x768 "iMessages App Store" image don't make it through to the built .appex file though.

Accepted Reply

OK, I've now successully gotten my app with iMessage stickers uploaded and released to beta testers through TestFlight.

From what I can tell, this error is caused by missing the 1024x768 "Messages App Store" image. Add that in and it should all work fine!

The problem I was having was the 1024x768 image for some reason wasn't making it's way into the build .appex bundle. If your "Assets.car" file in your built bundle is only like 16 KiB, then you will get this error. It should be at least 100 KiB (depending on the complexity of your image).

I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it unfortunately, but at least now you can check your "Assets.car" file before you try to upload to see if it's correct. You can try setting "Bulid Active Resources Only" to NO for the extension. Archiving is supposed to do that anyway, but it may be bugged.

Replies

I've been struggling with this error also. I've tried adding the "MSMessagesExtensionStoreIconName" key with my app's icon name to my plist, but I get the same error. Perhaps we aren't able to upload any messages extensions yet?

Hey guys, during the beta period we can't upload anything for the newest software. You'll need to wait until the Xcode 8 GM is released (with final SDKs) in order to successfully upload. You should receive an email from Apple later this year saying they're ready for new stuff to be uploaded.

Are you sure? In the TestFlight release notes: https://developer.apple.com/testflight/release-notes/

it says:

• Apps built with the SDK for beta 3 of iOS 10, watchOS 3, and tvOS 10 are now supported.
  • iMessage app submissions are now supported for apps built with iOS 10 beta 3.

OK, I've now successully gotten my app with iMessage stickers uploaded and released to beta testers through TestFlight.

From what I can tell, this error is caused by missing the 1024x768 "Messages App Store" image. Add that in and it should all work fine!

The problem I was having was the 1024x768 image for some reason wasn't making it's way into the build .appex bundle. If your "Assets.car" file in your built bundle is only like 16 KiB, then you will get this error. It should be at least 100 KiB (depending on the complexity of your image).

I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it unfortunately, but at least now you can check your "Assets.car" file before you try to upload to see if it's correct. You can try setting "Bulid Active Resources Only" to NO for the extension. Archiving is supposed to do that anyway, but it may be bugged.

No, I wasn't sure. 😉 I'm pretty much exclusively an OS X guy, so I have exactly zero experience with TestFlight, which apparently follows different rules than release software. Sorry if I confused you!

Could you walk me through the steps you took to successfully upload the Messages extension to iTunes Connect? Message extensions I'm uploading won't show up in iTunes Connect.

Here's what I've tried:

- I've set the bundle ID in iTunes Connect to bundle ID of the host app

- Selected, archived and uploaded the host app scheme

- Result: the build briefly appears in the Activity tab of iTunes Connect as "processing" before it dissapears

- Set the bundle ID in iTunes Connect to the bundle ID of the Messages extension

- Selected, archived and uploaded the extension

- Result: same as above

Thanks in advance!

FYI: I solved my issue with iTunes Connect rejecting the build by removing an emtpy Sticker Sequence in the assets. Apparently iTunes Connect doesn't allow empty sticker sequence.

I have the 1024x768 icon set but I still get the error when submitting to iTunes Connect.

What's the value set for MSMessagesExtensionStoreIconName for you? Is it the name of the icon asset catalog? the name of the 1024x768 icon file? The path?

Thanks.

So apparently, it was because the large size icon that I set in XCode was 1025px wide instead of 1024px... You would bet it would tell you before uploading to iTunes Connect...

It was made using the template for iMessages icons on apple developper website, so that's surprising.

I was getting similar error for iMessage extension app i.e. Large App Icon assets must have the dimensions 1024x768. Although I previously published the app to store successfully and there was no change. Dimension was alright and there was no alpha. As trial and error, I ended up doing ENABLEONLYACTIVERESOURCES = NO and ENABLEBITCODE = NO, and it worked.