Stuck at Mac login screen after installing Sierra Beta 3

Both of my macs recently updated to Sirra Beta 3 are now both stuck on the Login Screen. After inputting password it just loops back to the enter password screen again. I've tried numerous troubleshooting, but I believe my solution will lay with creating a new user folder from Terminal, but I do not know how to? Can anyone assist in providing me a step by step guide?

Accepted Reply

Potential solution from a similar thread. Please comment on how you get on.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/155132#155132

• Page no longer exists. Plz update!

Add a Comment

Replies

Same here, currently trying to reinstall macOS via recovery mode but I doubt it'll work

Oh at least I am not alone. Please update on how that goes on. I have spent the entire day trying to find a solution that doesn't require a restore and similar errors have been found in the past but solutions are not clear.

I have the same problem. Anyone find a solution?

I am attempting a backup restore. I shall update you. Are your symptoms the same as mine? I was able to update to Beta 3 and all worked fine. When I went to log in this morning both my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro would only reach login screen. It lets me enter the passcode and starts and a split second later resorts back to the login screen? I can only deduce it is a problem with the startup/login files. .plist files i think? I am trying to find a way to delete them using terminal commands from the boot. I suspect that it may be a Kodak plist file. I would be curious to know if you have ever installed any Kodak printers?

Yes, my MBP was working fine. Though I didn't shut down until this afternono. I did boot into Windows partition, went to reboot back into mac os sierra beta (I think beta 3, 10.12) and got caught in a loop as you describe. When I type in password, just returns to same screen a few seconds later. I am able to boot into windows partition fine. Never have installed Kodak printers. Would think this is a wide spread issue.

Well let's hope this thread grows and catches the eye of a Mac Ninja!

If the error is with the launch agent folder within users\library\launch agent you may be able to test it works by finding the folder in Explorer and systematically removing plist files. Trying to reboot into Mac OS between each one? That would at least single out issue.

Same issue hope there's a workaround soon.

Same issue on MacPro.

Well I said I'd update.... but unfortunately no closer to understanding the reason. The only solution I had found was a Backup restore, which thankfully I had but only of one of my macs. Thank goodness then also for external storage and the cloud! I still believe the issue lays with the my .plist files. No idea which. If any other of you sufferers have had any other luck in resolving please do close the loop and end the suffering! Today I have decided to re-install Beta 3. This time I'll just be testing on 1 of my macs, not both. I've add my main .plist folders to become shared folders as one exploit (if the issue is with them) is that I found I could access my macs by logging in as a guest..... possible solution. If it happens again I'll let you know if that is a possible solution.

same issue here. MBP retina early 2013. need fix asap

Potential solution from a similar thread. Please comment on how you get on.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/155132#155132

• Page no longer exists. Plz update!

Add a Comment

I was having this same issue, but I was able to resolve it by changing the password on the Keychain login items file. I had to change the password for my user account after beta 3, but that process failed to change the Keychain (this isn't an issue limited to 10.12). I found the command to change the password via the command line though. I went in through the guest account, but I'm assuming if you don't have the guest account enabled you could do this through the terminal in recovery mode.

This is the command to enter:

security set-keychain-password -o oldpwd -p newpwd /Users/{usernamehere]/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

After running this command I could login under my account with no issue. I did get lots of prompts from various services that were needing Keychain access to "Local Items". I researched online and found the fix for this issue. After doing this I haven't had any issues.

I was struggling with this issue as well but managed to sort it without a reinstall. I used another existing Admin account to change the password back to the original one that I had previously been forced to change because it was the same as the Apple ID password. I then restarted and logged in with the original password with no problems or prompt to change it. Once I had logged into my user account I changed the password manually using the System Preferences so that it was no longer the same as the Apple ID password and restarted again. Problem solved, but probably not so simple if you don't have another Admin account?

I have the same problem. This thread has a potential non-reinstall solution. https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/52456 I also just talked to my friend who's with the beta program. He suggested that we try this: -Boot up in recovery mode -Open terminal -run "resetpassword" -Select "reset" in the popup window or "My password doesn't work when logging in" (for me this was the 2nd of 3 options) -follow this through & try to log in again I couldn't get past the part where it wanted me to input my Apple ID password. Kept getting error messages like "An unknown error occurred" or "There was an error connecting to the Apple ID server" but maybe it'll work for one of you.