MacOS Sierra / kernel_task problem

I installed Mac OS sierra yesterday night in my MacBook Air13" (4gb) I also use an external SSD (Samsung T3).

Today I could not do any task because of CPU and ram usages.

First, I thought this is because of new OS, but then I check activity monitor and saw kernel_task use around 50-70% percent of CPU.

I wonder, what it is and how I can fix this problem (I found some entries in the forum, but I am not sure this is the same problem or not).

Thank you.

Replies

I am having the same issue. Kernel_Task is running at 472% cpu. I do not have any issues with the RAM but everything seems to be laggy.

Same issue. It's been there for quite a few OS X releases. Now it's really annoying with my latest MacBook Pro Retina mid-2015 maxed out. This happens when connecting two displays (one is thunderbolt the other HDMI).

Have The same problem with thunderbolt when connected to 4K monitor (always) , owc thunderbolt docking... removing thunderbolt connecting and The kernel task is going back to normal behavior. Apple MacBook Pro (late 2015) with i7.

MacBookPro8,2 with 4 GB memory. I found the process hogging the CPU in mid-July, maybe earlier.

In my case the hogging seems to be not immediately after boot. Now, for example, 16A286a has been up for one day, five hours and ten minutes and as usual, there's hogging.

Same problem for me with 4k monitor connected to my belkin TB2 dock.

Kernel_task is stil causing big problems with the latest version (16A313a).

Problems starting when:

1: using two screens (external monitor/ internal lcd)

2. using parallels

It makes no difference if the external or internal screen is turned off.

It seems Apple stil not pin point or resolved this issue. Because it very simple to trigger it... it must be easy to resolve this 😀

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2,8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP114.0172.B09

SMC Version (system): 2.30f2

Serial Number (system): ***

Hardware UUID: ***

Hard disk or solid state?

Any hogging of the CPU by kernel_task with the first golden master?

I am also having this issue on a MPB retina mid 2012.

As soon as I plug in an external monitor via HDMI, within 10 minutes I begin to experience 600+% in kernel_task usage and I can barely use my computer.

I've have a maxed out late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB of DDR3 RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB.

I also have a DELL P2415Q Display 24-inch (3840 x 2160) using Thunderbolt, speakers through the headphone jack, and use a USB to Thunderbolt to charge my phone.

I upgraded to macOS Sierra the day it came out, and had no issues until this morning. I unplugged my external display and speakers, and used my laptop for about 15 minutes off the battery, then returned to my desk and plugged my Thunderbolt display, and speakers back in, and my CPU shot up to 100% and never came back down. My Mac is essentially useless as kernel_task is eating all my CPU, and preventing any other application from grabbing CPU.

I've since done a hardware check - everything was fine, reset the NVRAM, and I attempted to clear the .plist files from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext but I couldn't find it on my Mac (was trying to follow this guide, booted into Safe Mode and everything then went to try and find the file and my Mac just doesn't have it). When my external display is plugged in if I do anything CPU intensive (video calling, opening Chrome, etc) then my kernel_task goes crazy again, and the only way to get it drop is to unplug my display. Plugging my iPhone in to charge also spikes my kernel_task as well. I've been monitoring my internal temperatures, and nothing has been out of the ordinary, currently chilling at around 140°.

At this point, it seems that any time anything puts load on the system and increase internal temperatures of any internal component of my Mac the kernel_task maxes out my CPU bringing my Mac to its knees.

Any ideas how to remedy this? Is this just a major bug in 10.12?

In my case seems to be the external monitor.

kernel_task was taking even 1000% CPU (dunno why if I have 8 cores) and even booting in safe mode. Then after reading this thread I disconnected the external monitor connected to mini display port and kernel_task went back to normal.

I hope they fix this soon, I'm going blind on my MBP monitor. 😢

So, I found out that in my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) if I connect the external monitor to HDMI instead of Mini Display Port kernel_task works normal.

So far it goes up for 1.17hrs, crossed fingers, hopefully it will work till a new update.

I think this issue is caused by active vs. passive MiniDisplay Port adapters. I swapped from the Apple DVI adapter which is passive to the Apple VGA adapter which is active (https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT204149) and it resolved the issue (well, not resolved because using VGA is like shoving needles in my eyeballs).

Edit: Active Mini DisplayPort > DVI adapter fixed the issue for me. Back to normal CPU usage and a usable computer!

I have the same issue, it happens when I connect my LG widescreen monitor (34UM95) via hdmi / displayport even in clamshell mode. It seems fine when I use my external dell monitor (1920x1080). This is killing my productivity. I'm running the first public release 10.12 (16A323), Macbook Pro Retina, Late 2013, full spec.

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem on the following setup:

1/ MBPro late 2013 / macOS sierra 10.12

2/ Thunderbolt display

3/ External Dell display.

After 10-15 minutes the kernel_task goes on a rampage and took ~500% CPU. Oddly enough, if I disconnect the T/bold the problem goes away.

The thing that (hopefully) fixed the problem was switching the laptop's display to be the main display (I was using the T/bold as the main display). I've been running for a few hours now and everything seems to be working fine.

I am having a same issue in my MacBook Air early 2015 4gb.. Did your sort it ?