MacBook Pro retina stuck on black screen after sleep mode

I Am running macOS Sierra developer beta 2 and it's been working fine. But all the sudden when I try and wake it up it won't come out of sleep mode. I have to resort to hard booting it to fix the issue but once it goes back to sleep it does the same thing again. Any help would be much appreciate!

Accepted Reply

Uninstalled Duet and I can now wake from sleep with no black screen. Thanks!

Replies

+1 --- same problem.

Same prob 2015 13"

Hello

Same here.

MacBookPro 13 retina early 2015, stuck on black screen (backlight on, only black displayed and no mouse cursor) after waking up from sleep mode (either auto sleep or closing the screen).

For now I'm using Caffeine to prevent entering to sleep mode and shutdown the computer instead of just closing it.

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro Retina early 2015. I can login to my MacBook using my Apple Watch, but, screen stays black.

Possible Solution

I read something about people having different results with the new "Unlock with Apple Watch" feature. As a result, I grew suspicious of two 3rd party apps that I had installed (because they deal with the display):

• f.lux
  • Duet (allows you to use an iOS device as a secondary mirror)

I should have uninstalled them one-at-a-time, but didn't ... BUT, once uninstalled, I am no longer having this issue.

Uninstalled Duet and I can now wake from sleep with no black screen. Thanks!

This has worked for me. I restarted the computer twice and it seemed to work perfectly

Also uninstalled Duet on my MacBook early 2015 and things are back to normal. Thanks!

Same problem here, but I also unistalled Duet on my MacBook early 2015, things are back to normal again. Thanks!

FYI I hadn't DUET installed but Avatron AirDisplay.

The problem comes from 3rd party display drivers.

For AirDisplay, you can find an Unistall script in the "Applications/Utility" folder.

Fixed the wake-up black screen issue for me.

Right after installing first macOS Sierra Public Beta, the screen of my MacBook 2015 remained black. Only the backlight worked.

I had to restart my MacBook and it started OK

Then I did dthe second Beta update in order to ger rid of this bug.

I logged in and registered a strange screen flickering (after every restart, seems like the graphocs adjusts something...)

When I put my MacBook to sleep mode, after attemt to wake it up, screen remained black again.

This is reproducable.

Uninstalling Duet did not help (yes I had Duet isnalled for quite a long time)

So this is not the solution to uninstal Duet.

Don't have any other similar Apps or display drivers installed.

We have to reopen the issue.

Third party Asus MB168B monitor drivers, or "Easy Link" were causing problems for me. The driver DMG from the Asus support site also contains an uninstaller.

I found this Reddit thread about this https://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/4s3jbb/mac_wont_wake_from_sleep_since_installing_sierra/

It said that sometimes a driver gets left over. I had apparently installed Duet and the driver was left over in /Library/Extensions/ . I got rid of that and restarted, and the display would properly wake from sleep again.

Hi guys, thanks for your suggestions and glad it worked for most of you, but in my case, after strugglin for couple of hours now, still no solution. I've tried PRam reset, SMC reset for couple of times, booted to safe mode and did kextstats in terminal for any app drivers leftovers in kernel, but mac still boots to black screen. Mouse, brightness and volume controls are still visable. Funny thing is, Windows 10 boots normally which ****** me off the most. Round the Internet there are only 3 suggestions for solving this issue. Anybody got 4th?

4th? 5th? The people who have been lucky seem to have old kexts or duet.

Where can we get just the latest SMC or EFI drivers or any and all low level stuff? Doing a fresh install doesn't seem to overwrite..

Notes:

I've tried:

SMC reset

NVRAM (PRAM) reset

typing in my password when screen blank/black

erasing ssd and re-installing high sierra

lessening transparency in accessibility

pmset -a for everything to be off: sleep, hibernatemode, standby, halfdim, powernap, disksleep

switching to try all graphics modes

tried night mode on all the way cold, all the way warm

tried with power plug in, power plug out

tried with battery at 100% and not at 100%

tried with USB attached and with not tried with USB + iOS device attached and not

read every blog/site/forum post google could find from 2012 to july 2017.

I don't have any third party kexts (new install, right?) I don't have any third party apps (no duet, flux, vmware, nothing)