USB Devices Not Recognising After Sierra Beta 2 Install

Immediately after install of second Sierra Beta install, no external USB devices are being recognised. Late 2012 MacBook Pro with two USB3.0 ports.

Seems the devices are found in under System Report/Information through 'About this Mac' and are shown as receiving power output from the MacBook (also device power LEDs are lit, but do not show in Finder and are not accessible in anyway. Non-powered USB devices are also not being recognised.

Have tried an SMC Reset and also a NVRAM reset as suggested in various forum threads but still nothing working. MacBook also has an SD Card port and this works fine when a card is inserted. Also tried basic system restarts and shut downs with and without devices plugged in.

All help much appreciated as this bug makes it difficult to do quite a lot of things...

Replies

I'm having the same problem here using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Did you file a bug report? I was getting ready to file one but wanted to read through the beta forum first. You have already done more investigating so it would be worthwhile to submit your information.

Same problem here: 21.5'' late 2013 iMac.

Yes, have filed a report on this. Glad it's not just me. Have exhausted every single thing I can possilby find about trying to get this to work. Rendered my work near impossible.

Yep same problem on my macbook 2014 but strangly the usb hard drive that doesnt work on my macbook 2014 running macos sierra beta 2 does work on my late 2015 5k imac 27" running macos sierra beta 2?.

Same problem on my 2015 iMac. All 4 USB ports are unrecognized. My weather station and printer are curr ntlyndeadmin the water.

The hardware page shows the internal camera and the BT ports, but no other USB ports.

This is especially problematic,since my external drive connects via USB.

Having the same issue. Can't connect to my wired LAN via USB. Just shows cable unplugged.

yeah ive got a similar issue with my 2012 mbp pro. It detects one hdd but not the other

The bug reporter feedback informed me I generated a duplicate report and the other is still open, so at least they're aware of it now but I doubt they'll do anything until the next beta now.

I have the same issue with my late 2011 MacBook Pro. I filed a report as well. I wish there was something that could be done right now all my files and backups go to my external HD.

I'm having the same issue. Unfortunately the external drive contains my time machine backup too.

Same issue on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012). Oddly my external drive went "bad" around the same time too. I did not relaize the issue until I purchased a replacement drive and it was not see. Plugged the new drive into my non-beta iMac without issue. Plugged the "bad" drive and it was recognized too -- with a bit of clicking. I'm able to copy things off the bad drive, so that's good :-). Thank goodneess I backup to a NAS and the external USB drive too.

Same here! Please fix this soon@@

Installed macOS sierra today and as soon as it booted up no external hhd's can be recognized l...it can reed some flash drives but not 1tb or up hhd's,bummer...

No problem with Beta 2, just finished installing beta 3 and lost all usb devices. rMBP 2012.

Rebooting without any devices plugged in, then plugging in after logging in and all my devices reappeared, apart from my logitech dongle which I left unplugged incase it is the cause of the problem.

Beta 3 resolved my USB hard drive issues.