Auto Unlock with Apple Watch

In Beta 2 of Sierra combined with an Apple Watch (watch OS 3 Beta 2) its now possible to aktivate Auto Unlock. I've tried to activate the Checkbox on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and a Error says, that the Mac couldnt find the Apple Watch. The Watch is on, unlocked and on my wrist. After reboot from Mac and Apple Watch, the option to enable Auto Unlock is not shown anymore.

Any ideas about?

Replies

Had it working for a little while but needed me to disable 2 step authentication via web to then re-enable via System Preferences on mac. Then when signed out of iCloud on my iPhone to sign back in and get it recognised as a trusted device again, the watch option vanished from System Preferences and can't seem to get it back, even after signing back into everything again.

Would be interested to see if anyone else has this type of thing and can get the option to come back again. Was awesome for the 30 minutes while I had it working!

So I just signed out of iCloud on iPhone again, then also signed out on one of my Macs. After signing back in to those, unlock with Watch turned up a few minutes later in System Prefs.

I was now able to activate this. But Unlock is not working. Reboot of iMac did'nt resolve that. The feature ist activated, but unlock doesent work.

Can anyone explain the differences between the late 2012 iMac and the 2013 iMac. I have the late 2012, the first year the mac had the rounded back, and the checkbox does not show up in my Security settings. The documents specify that it is supported on 2013+ models. So what is so different?

This is from everymac.com:

Connectivity Differences

There is one important connectivity difference between the "Late 2012" and "Late 2013" iMac lines.

All of these systems have an SDXC-capable SD card slot, four USB 3.0 ports, two Thunderbolt ports -- which support Mini DisplayPort output for two external displays up to 30" (2560x1600) as well as "Target Display Mode" via Thunderbolt -- one Gigabit Ethernet port (10/100/1000Base-T), one "headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack)" that also supports the Apple iPhone headset with microphone, and support for Bluetooth 4.0.

However, the "Late 2013" iMac systems also support 802.11ac Wi-Fi, whereas the "Late 2012" iMac systems only support slower "MIMO" 450 Mbit/sec 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi.

Early 2013 macbook Pro no option to enable it on my mac.....

2FA enabled, all devices on beta 2s, watch has a passcode.....

tried everything from signing in and out icloud everywhere to repairing apple watch to iphone

nothing.

Same here. MacBook Pro Retina 15" Early 2013 and can't see the option....though the relase notes say it should work (The Auto Unlock feature is supported on 2013 and newer Macs). Filed a bug report and waiting for a reply. Cheers,

Auto Unlock does not work for me.

I have the option enabled in System Preferences and the Mac does attempt to unlock with Apple Watch but after 10 seconds the password input box shows awaiting me typing my password

Same here. I have Two-Factor Authentification enabled, my mac is trusted, iphone & apple watch also. Activated the option from security & privacy but it just says "unlocking mac with apple watch..." and after 10 or so seconds it promts me to enter my mac password.

I also got something strange. After adding my mac password in the sec&privacy it requested to pair with my watch, but the watch did not recieve any notification... A guidline would help Using macbook pro mid 2015

Same here -.-

I was able to get this to work for me (mid-2015 15" Pro), however I had to enable 2-step authentication via my iPhone. When I tried on the Mac, it wanted me to change passwords and for some reason I couldn't get past that point. Once I did that, I was able to check off Unlock with Apple Watch. I never received any request to pair anything.

However, I turned off the feature because I noticed that once I unlocked once via the Apple Watch, I was no longer able to access anything to do with the internet (Safari, Chrome, FTP, etc...). I had to restart the system to resolve.

Hi friends.

I have same problem...

Have MacOS Sierra beta 2 but this option is "hidden"

My Apple Watch has WatchOS 3 beta 2 and iPhone 6s with iOS 10 beta 2

I use Macbook Air 11" Mid 2012

What is the solution?

Same boat here too. Got it setup with Late 2013 iMac (at the fifth attempt) but it tries to unlock and just ends up at the password box. On the mid-2015 MacBook Pro I also have, it keeps saying it can't even find the watch.

your MacBook is not compatible with Auto Unlock.

ouch!! Whats Mac´s are compatible?

from the release notes: " Auto Unlock Setup The Auto Unlock feature is supported on 2013 and newer Macs. The Auto Unlock feature requires that you enable your iCloud account to use Two-Factor Authentication (not Two-Step Verification), install the latest iOS 10 on your iPhone, and the latest watchOS 3 on your Apple Watch. "