ATS and Load balancer with TLS1.1

Hello,

We are in the process of getting all the ATS requirement and HLS authoring spec for compliant for our Apple TV. But we realized that some of our services are behind a load balancer witch only supports TLS1.1 and not TLS1.2. Is this a strict requirement to be TLS1.2 or we are covered with TLS1.1?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Reply

Your first part answered the question on the apple tv playlist and key url requirements as well.

Replies

ATS requires TLS 1.2. If your load balancer only supports TLS 1.1, you will need an ATS exception. ATS exceptions must be justified to App Review, per WWDC 2016 Session 706 What’s New in Security. See this post for more background on this.

I can’t speak for App Review here, but I’m kinda depressed that we live in a world where load balancers don’t support TLS 1.2, a standard that contains critical security fixes and is now eight years old .

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Is this the same process for Apple TV as well?

AppleTV HLS Authoring spec has the TLS1.2 requirement for playlist and key.

Is this the same process for Apple TV as well?

At a technical level, tvOS is in sync with iOS as far as ATS requirements go. At the App Review level, we didn’t specifically say that the new enforcement is iOS only, so I’d expect it to apply to all platforms.

AppleTV HLS Authoring spec has the TLS1.2 requirement for playlist and key.

I’m not sure what your point is here.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Your first part answered the question on the apple tv playlist and key url requirements as well.