Anyone able to create full disk APFS volume

Having no problem with creating disk images in APFS format. However, I am trying to format an external disk (SSD over USB) as APFS. However, each attempt results in:

Mounting APFS Volume

Error: -69842: Couldn't mount disk

The container is created, but the volume is not. I've tried the create verb as well as the createContainer and createVolume combo. In both cases, the container appears to be properly created but the volume is not.

Once the action fails, I can disconnect the drive from the machine. When I reconnect, the volume mounts as read only and a dialog box appears stating "OS X can't repar the disk "diskName" You can still open or copy files ...."

Likewise, trying to create a volume with a size smaller than the entire drive also fails with -69842

diskutil apfs createVolume disk1s2 APFS MyFunDisk 400g

Here is diskutil list after creation and the error:

/dev/disk1 (external, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_APFS 511.8 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk1s2s1 (external, virtual):

And here it is after a disconnect and reconnent of the drive.

/dev/disk1 (external, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_APFS 511.8 GB disk1s2

/dev/disk1s2s1 (external, virtual):

0: APFS Volume MyFunDisk +400.0 GB disk1s2s1

The mount command shows it as read only:

/dev/disk1s2s1 on /Volumes/MyFunDisk (apfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, journaled, noowners)

I am guessing it is just too early, but I want to see if anyone else has had success creating an APFS formated full disk

Accepted Reply

I see the same error with an external firewire drive. The fsck_apfs command reported that there were errors with the volume hence its being mounted read-only. I was able to work around it by adding a second volume which was created without any errors. I then deleted the two volumes and added a single volume back. This is definately beta quality code.

Has anyone been able to create an encrypted volume? I get a different error when I try to use any of the encryption or effaceable options to addVolume.

Replies

I see the same error with an external firewire drive. The fsck_apfs command reported that there were errors with the volume hence its being mounted read-only. I was able to work around it by adding a second volume which was created without any errors. I then deleted the two volumes and added a single volume back. This is definately beta quality code.

Has anyone been able to create an encrypted volume? I get a different error when I try to use any of the encryption or effaceable options to addVolume.

One of the other threads, Tuesday File Systems Lab Notes, covers a lot of questions about encryption in APFS and it really looks like they haven't implemented it yet since they haven't finalized the tools that will manage it.

Nice call. Thanks for the tip. As detailed, creating two, then deleting two, then creating one of the entire drive did the trick.

For others, assuming the drive is the 2nd disk, here are the commands:

diskutil apfs createContainer disk2s2

diskutil apfs addVolume disk2s2 APFS small 10g

## This operation created the volume but fails to mount with the -69842 error

diskutil apfs addVolume disk2s2 APFS big 450g

## This operations created the volume and mounts it

diskutil apfs deleteVolume disk2s2s1

diskutil apfs deleteVolume disk2s2s2

## this removes the volumes but leaves the container

diskutil apfs addVolume disk2s2 APFS BigDrive

Time to play!

USB flash drive with HFS Plus: I had no problem using the same drive for APFS.

I just tested this on Developer Beta 2 and it looks like the isue has been fixed.