• Added active line highlighting
  • Added Swift code literals
  • Added Swift image literals

Markup language documentation generation

Rewritten AppleScript dictionary for Xcode

Xcode will now capture crash logs

New option in xcodebuild to run pre-built tests

Code signing provisioning system is rebuilt in Xcode 8

• New option for automatic code signing - Xcode handles everything with regards to signing the app.
  • Customized code signing - For when the developer wants to control the code signing settings.

Multiple development certificates option - now a developer can get a new Mac, sign in with their Apple ID and get a developer certificate for that new Mac.

Networking

Apple worked with Cisco to identify trusted devices and applications, then prioritize that network traffic.

Logging

New logging

• Unified logging
  • Granular logging
  • In-memory tracing
  • Automatic redaction of development logging, for when an application ships.

File systems

HFS+ designed and deployed over 30 years ago (1998), time for it to be retired.

Now introducing Apple File System (APFS) in Sierra.

64-bit inode structure

Unify encryption across iOS and macOS - how does this affect CoreStorage?

Cloning:

Sounds like de-duplication because multiple copies of the same file will have a storage space cost of only one copy of the file.

Snapshots:

Full volume, supports reverting

Storage can revert back to a desired state.

APFS coming to all Apple devices "soon".

Currently non-bootable

Developer notes available here: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html

macOS

Supports right to left languages, including reversing UI elements where that makes sense.

Apple is publishing a new localization guide.

iCloud Desktop and Documents - You can have separate iCloud Desktop and local Desktop for the user account on the Mac.

See complete list of session and lab notes here:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/142899

Replies

Thanks for posting these!

TIL 1998 was 30 years ago 😢

I believe the cloning is "like deduplication" in that when a clone is requested, it's much like a Fusion linked clone: only storage overhead is for the filesystem changes since the clone was invoked. If it's doing a true ZFS style deduplication, where every file is hashed and compared to the hash database with each write, I've missed that. I'm thinking it's not that kind of dedupe, as the overhead on that is usually quite significant.

Thanks for the notes!

I am curious as to how long until APFS is usable on a startup disk or Time Machine drive. Wonder if it will become an option in later 10.12 point releases, or if Apple will wait until 10.13...

I was curious about this too so I looked it up. 1985 HFS, 1998 HFS+. "HFS+ was introduced with the January 19, 1998 release of Mac OS 8.1." Wikipedia. 😀