Symbolicating Crashes for Applications Submitted with Bitcode

In Xcode 7, we added the ability to include bitcode with your app submission. Including bitcode will allow Apple to re-optimize your app binary in the future without the need to submit a new version of your app to the store. Read App Thinning to learn more.

If you would like to view crashes that originated from your app distributed via TestFlight or App Store, you may use the Xcode Crashes Organizer.

Alternatively, you may retrieve and symbolicate crashes from a distributed app directly from your device using the Devices Window. Xcode will symbolicate the crashes found on your device automatically as long as you have the appropriate dSYMs and the app version that crashed. If you upload your app with bitcode, the App Store will compile your app from bitcode and retain the dSYMs necessary to symbolicate your application’s crashes. The dSYMs can be downloaded at any time using the Archive organizer’s Download dSYMs button. This button downloads the dSYMs from all bitcode compiled generations of your app and inserts them into the the original Archive used to upload your app. In order to download these dSYMs, you must retain the original archive used to upload the app.

For more information on symbolicating distributed apps directly from your device in the Devices window, read Analyzing Crash Reports.

Replies

Similar problem happening here. Symbols and Bitcode uploaded for the latest version of our app, as confirmed by iTunes Connect.

Downloading dSYMs works fine, but they are useless, filled with "__hidden#xx" symbolication descriptions, despite symbols having been included.

So, the crash reports symbolicate, but there is nothing to be learned from them.

Filed as another radar issue: 26536862

Same issue here. Uploaded bitcode and included symbols, which iTunes Connect corroborates.

Downloading dSYM files contains only __hidden symbols.

I understand that uploading bitcode hides symbols by default, but it seems like "include symbols" is supposed to be the opt-in for sharing symbols with Apple?

File as radar://26536862

I duplicated your radar issue: 26536862 as issue: 27171672. iTunes Connect states the dSYM includes symbols, but both Xcode crash reporter and Crashlytics hide my code.

I'm also experiencing the issue with invalid dSYM files being generated by iTunes Connect which show __hidden#xxxx_ instead of my app's actual class/method when used to symbolicate a crash file. My bug number is

I make my App enable bitcode, archive my app, upload my app with "include bitcode for iOS content" on and "upload symbols" on, and then upload success. but when I go to itunes connect -> activity -> #, the "include symbols" is NO.

Did I do something wrong and how to fix it?