Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN) Extension for IPv6

Hello,

We use some third party libraries on the app side and on the server side to achieve TURN and provide video services to our customers.

Does the IPV6 only network support means, I have to make my server side code as well work with IPV6 only clients or do I just need to take care of the client side code.

Thanks

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=05042016a

Accepted Reply

In general the requirement to support IPv6-only networks does not affect your server infrastructure. See FAQ #3 of the above-mentioned pinned post.

However, once you start messing around with NAT traversal technologies, you’ve definitely fallen off the beaten path and that engenders some risk. In theory NAT64 should work with NAT traversal technologies [1] but if I were in your shoes I’d feel a lot happy having tested it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

[1] Here’s a quote from RFC 6146:

NAT64 is compliant with the recommendations for how NATs should handle UDP [RFC4787], TCP [RFC5382], and ICMP [RFC5508]. … Because of the compliance with the aforementioned requirements, NAT64 is compatible with current NAT traversal techniques, such as ICE [RFC5245], and with other NAT traversal techniques.

Replies

Have you tested your app in the DNS64/NAT64 test environment? If not, please do, and let us know what you see.

There are links to the instructions for setting up that test in the Supporting IPv6-only Networks pinned post.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

We are in the process of testing it. The problem is this is executed by a vendor and their estimate to test is huge. So if I know my servers are not required to be ready now, I don't have to test the functionality fully instead just make the client side code fully compliant to the IPV6 requirements.

In general the requirement to support IPv6-only networks does not affect your server infrastructure. See FAQ #3 of the above-mentioned pinned post.

However, once you start messing around with NAT traversal technologies, you’ve definitely fallen off the beaten path and that engenders some risk. In theory NAT64 should work with NAT traversal technologies [1] but if I were in your shoes I’d feel a lot happy having tested it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

[1] Here’s a quote from RFC 6146:

NAT64 is compliant with the recommendations for how NATs should handle UDP [RFC4787], TCP [RFC5382], and ICMP [RFC5508]. … Because of the compliance with the aforementioned requirements, NAT64 is compatible with current NAT traversal techniques, such as ICE [RFC5245], and with other NAT traversal techniques.

Thank you.