High idle CPU usage

I'm not sure what has changed over the last day or so but suddenly configd, SystemUIServer and kernel_task are all hovering between 15-30% CPU usage all the time. Things had been fairly normal since I had installed El Capitan the day after release but yesterday things just seem to have gone nuts. The only thing that had changed was installing the new iStatMenus beta since that was the only thing that I use on a regular basis that didn't work right away. Upgrading to the second beta they released did not help nor did uninstalling it completely. Anybody else seeing this kind of abnormal CPU usage out of these 3?

Replies

My heavy usages are:

kernal_task

soagent

callservicesd

WindowServer

Well, judging by Bjango's twitter feed and a thread on MacRumors, quite a few people reported elevated CPU activity after the installing the first beta (they don't seem to have specified which processes it was due to though). There are also some subsequent reports that the 2nd beta you refer to (released a few hours afterward) fixed it. I had the first one installed but hadn't really set it up so I thoroughly uninstalled it and then installed the 2nd one, with which I've have had no problems so far.

I'd suggest you first check Activity Monitor to see that there are no processes with "iStat" in the name running, and perhaps do a more thorough removal of any traces that the first install may have left behind.

If that doesn't return the CPU usage back to normal, and you've already tried the usual resets and reboots, then it might be necessary to do a clean install of 10.11

It seems there is a huge problem with contacts syncing in beta 2 and maybe already beta 1 which causes constantly high cpu usage (i.e. soagent, callservicesd and calendaragent due to Birthday Calendar). My assumption: There are some single contacts in Address Book which El Capitan is not able to process due to unknown reasons (probably wrong or irregular birthday field). However, I was yet not able to identify the exact contact(s) in my Address Book which causes theses troubles. The console does not give enough information.

I have instant use around 50-60% cpu by 'secd'.

I am having the same problem with very high CPU usage of various tasks, as well as my fan running constantly since updating to the Public Beta.😠

same here, except my process is join.me launcher. Fan kicks in within a few seconds. Force quitting the process doesn't do anything, even after the app is completely un-installed.

beta 4 anyone?

Trash Join.Me launcher and you should be in much better shape.

I'd LOVE to, but i can't find join.me launcher though!

It's not in ~/Library/LaunchAgents or anywhere else that I can find. Any idea where to find it?

Yeah, not the usual place. It's in ~/Library/Application Support/join.me

sorry, found it!

I forgot to enable "show libraries" under the folder view. It was inside the admin users folder ~/Library folder.

Remove and trashed and all is better 🙂

thanks for your help!

my issue is not with join.me but with soagent

any thoughts what and what this is, it is making the CPu fan go bonkers, os is slow and battery back up is almost less than an hour 😟

please please please someone help

sogent goes nuts for only a minute or two.. After that it seems to be fine. I wonder what may cause it to do that on your laptop.