Instruments not profiling iOS 9 device

I wanted to do some performance analysis using Xcode 7 and Instruments Version 7.0 (7A192o). Xcode copies the app to my iPad, then I start up a Time Profiler instrument, and my attached device (running an iOS 9 beta) is disabled in the popup.

I can Run on the device, just not profile.

I have profiled in the past, though probably not with this Xcode beta. Is there something I need to do in the scheme? Is it just a bug?

Replies

Attn Apple: I have spent hours on the various restarts needed to run a necessary test. Unfortunately, I'm still at a dead end with this problem. This time could have been spent enhancing my app for my (actually, our) users. If I was working hourly, I'd feel awful charging clients for this.

The best course of action is always to file a radar to ensure we have as much information about the issue you are experiencing. As 'zisko' mentions, include as much information about the OSes and devices as possible. Also including your host's console log and the device's, right after you experience the issue. You can use Console to see your host's console information, and the Devices window in Xcode to access your device's console information.

I've seen this multiple times. I have a Macbook Air mid 2012. Does it also happen on faster computers?

I encountered the same issue in Xcode 7.2 Your solution helped although my feedback was different, my device was still available in Xcode for instance. Thanks.

Byrne

In case it's helpful, I just experienced this issue on 10.11.3, Macbook Retina and a 128GB 6S Plus. Rebooting Mac didn't help, but after restarting phone, order was restored.

The latest Xcode 7.3 beta has made continued refinements to connecting to devices. If you experience the issue with the latest beta, we'd like to know.

you can restart your device! then connect your device to your mac->open Xcode->press command + i

That one help me too, but still can't figure out what went wrong.

Same problem.

• iPhone 6 on 9.1.2
  • Xcode 7.2
  • OSX 10.11.3

Other steps didn't work for me but this did:

• Quit Instruments
  • Xcode -> Window -> Devices -> <Device> -> Rename
  • Launch Instruments

I'm getting this issue with Xcode 7.3 beta 4 (7D152p) trying to profile on iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3 beta 4. I can debug fine on the device, but when I try to Profile (leaks, in this case) I get "unable to find a service to record with" on the right side of the time tracks and when I select the "Choose target..." option alongside my device name it brings up a dialog to choose the process, but no processes appear.

I haven't yet tried restarting the device or any of the suggestions above. The problem is repeatable, so what logs etc would you like me to collect before I try and fix the problem?

Please file a radar with the usual device and OS version info. Also include your host's Console output as well as the device's (which you can find in the Devices window in Xcode.) Also on that Devices window is a button labeled "View Device Logs". Look for any crashes around the time you are trying to connect Instruments to the device. Attach that to the radar if one exists.

Lastly, Instruments writes out its own logs to ~/Library/Logs/com.apple.dt.instruments/devices. Grab the most recent Instruments_devices.*.log file and attach that to the radar as well.

If anyone hits this problem with Xcode 7.3b4 or later, please follow that above steps so we can get more information about what the issue is. Thanks.

I have just filed a radar having reproduced this issue just now (it's always reproducible).

The radar id is 24929695

Thanks. We'll be in touch via that radar if we need more information. Although, in the meantime, does restarting the device fix the issue?

Yes, restarting the device fixed the issue.

It works.😮