Metal system trace Instruments tool for OS X

Just in case any Apple Metal engineer is wondering if anyone is super excited about getting the Metal system trace tool in Instruments working for OS X Metal work, the answer is a emphatic yes! It's really all I want with the next Xcode 7 update.

Replies

I am also looking forward to an Instruments Metal System Trace tool for OS X. It's really the one missing piece devs need for porting/creating high performance apps on OS X. Hopefully we will see an unveiling of a new tool at WWDC '16.

This is now available with the Instruments 8 beta.

I have Xcode Beta 8 and I can't use it (Metal System Trace). It says "This device is lacking the Metal capability" in fine print on the right side of the Instruments screen. Do I have to install OS X Sierra Beta, too? And yeah, that would be pretty cool tool to use.

Regards

Michal

I have the same message than Michal ("This device is lacking the Metal capability") after launching Intruments 8 on El Capitan.

Is Sierra required ?

Cyril.

Yes, macOS Sierra is required. The necessary support for tracing Metal related events was not present in earlier OSes.

Yes iPerKard, as grzywacz mentions both Sierra and Instruments 8 are required for using the Metal System Trace template in Instruments on macOS