Uploading archive error: "Missing iOS Distribution signing identity for ..."

I'm trying to upload my iOS app archive to iTunes Connect using Xcode, but when I click "Upload to App Store" I get the error that "Xcode attempted to locate or generate matching signing assets and failed to do so because of the following issues. Missing iOS Distribution signing identity for _____. Xcode can request one for you." I'm really confused, because I had literally just successfully uploaded an archive for the same app about 2 hours earlier, and then I needed to make one simple fix and then needed to reupload the archive, and now I'm getting this error. I literally did not touch anything else. I've done everything that I can think of to try fixing the problem, I restarted Xcode, my computer, went to Xcode preferences to click 'Download All' on the provisioning profiles, clicked "Reset" on the iOS Distribution on the same page, redownloaded the iOS distribution profile from the member center, went to the code signing settings in my app's build settings and manually set the release signing identity to the iOS distribution profile, and rearchived several times. Nothing is working. Help!

Edit: Here's the link about the expiring WWDRCA: https://developer.apple.com/support/certificates/expiration/

This is also confusing, because my app is just a normal iOS app that doesn't fit in any of those categories of people that need to take action. :S

I don't even know how to install the new certificate that they have a download link for. Just get "The System Roots keychain cannot be modified." in Keychain Access...

Accepted Reply

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the community and apologies for the issues you’ve been having. This issue stems from having a copy of the expired WWDR Intermediate certificate in both your System and Login keychains. To resolve the issue, you should first download and install the new WWDR intermediate certificate (by double-clicking on the file). Next, in the Keychain Access application, select the System keychain. Make sure to select “Show Expired Certificates” in the View menu and then delete the expired version of the Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certificate Authority Intermediate certificate (expired on February 14, 2016). Your certificates should now appear as valid in Keychain Access and be available to Xcode for submissions to the App Store.

Replies

Yes, I can confirm the above Apple support links resolved the issue.

Yes! thanks!

This worked for me

This was a good hour of stress for me tonight, but following the removal instructions worked. However I was still getting issues in Xcode in the aftermath.

In the end, I had to change the automatic setting in Code Signing/ Provisioning Profile to the actual profiles I had installed for dev/prod. The next compile popped an issue dialog with a FIX button. Xcode then reassigned everything and change everything back to automatic. Hope that helps anyone still having issues after the WWDR cert fix.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Deleting the expired WWDR did the trick. The new one was already present. Nothing like stressing out for a good two hours at midnight after preparing (trying to prepare) a build for others to test in the morning.

When is Apple going to remediate the verbiage in the error message so it adequately indicates the fact that the issue involes one or more expired certificates and indicates which certificate(s)?

Same problem. The CER download solve the problem for me.

Thanks

I managed to download the CER, and removed the expired ceritificates from the key chain, how ever I'm still getting the same problem. I recompiled and re built my app. Any ideas as to what I can do?

" you should first download and install the new WWDR intermediate certificate (by double-clicking on the file) " ... Double click on what file? Where?

There is a support page here, complete with a new cert (expires 2023) download link:

https://developer.apple.com/support/certificates/expiration/

Download, then double click on it to install to your keychain. Run Keychain Access to confirm and be sure to delete expired certs while you're in there.

1. Download https://developer.apple.com/certificationauthority/AppleWWDRCA.cer
  2. Double-click to install it in your Keychain.
  3. Then from Keychain, Select View -> "Show Expired Certificates" in Keychain app.
  4. It will list all the expired certificates.
  5. Delete "Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certificate Authority certificates" from "login" tab
  6. And also delete it from "System" tab.
  7. Restart your Mac

That workde for me

Thank u this help me :D

Thanks for the solution.

I had the same problem today. My certificates both development and distribution were expired on feb 4th. Because I need to test a new app I needed a new development certificate. Spend 4 hours searching today and decided to sign up for this forum and search for this problem. I am glad I found the answer her. Thank you.

Tidbits