Expired WWDR certificate and Safari Extension Builder

Today, Apple's WWDR certificate expired. I've removed it from Keychain Access, both from

login
and
system
, as described here. I've also downloaded and imported a new version of WWDR certificate.

However, when I open Safari Extension Builder and create/add an extension, the old WWDR certificate gets back to Keychain Access and I see "No Safari Extensions Certificate" warning in Extension Builder. I made sure I have a valid Safari certificate in Keychain.

How do I delete expired WWDR certificate completely so it doesn't appear again when I work on Safari extensions? I've tried removing Safari folder from Library directory and restarting my Mac, but it didn't help.

Accepted Reply

This appears to be fixed in El Capitan v10.11.4 beta 3.

Replies

Yes, I'm seeing the same.

I'm having the same problem, see the discussion here: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/37232

I've also opened up a support request with Apple.. I'll post a solution here if it gets resolved.

Same issue here. It seems that Safari's Extension Builder is actually reinstalling the expired certificate the first time it's opened. I'm currently using OS X 10.11.3 and Safari 9.0.3, the latest release of each. Here are the initial steps I tried:

• Open Keychain Access
  • Select View > Show Expired Certificates
  • Search for Apple Worldwide, select any expired certificates and delete them
  • Restart computer
  • Open Keychain Access to verify expired certificate is still gone, and Safari Developer certificate says it's valid
  • Open Safari
  • Choose Develop > Show Extension Builder
  • Selecting an extension shows "No Safari Extensions Certificate"

At this point I can now reproduce the problem very easily:

• Quit Safari
  • Delete the expired certificate again
  • Open Safari
  • Open Extension Builder

The expired cert will reappear every time. This time I think Extension Builder actually displayed very briefly that I had a valid certificate—probably in the brief moment before it was able to reinstall the expired certificate again.

So, clearly the problem is with Safari itself. The next question is whether Apple can fix this on their servers or if an update to the app will be needed. I'm curious if it's fixed in the latest 10.11.4 beta—does anyone have that installed so they could check?

Same here. I filed a bug: https://openradar.appspot.com/24672726

This appears to be fixed in El Capitan v10.11.4 beta 3.

Yeah, it's working as expected for me now after upgrading to OS X 10.11.4 Beta (15E39d) which includes Safari 9.1.

If you have 10.10.5, you can download only Safari 9.1 beta 3 from https://developer.apple.com/downloads/, it's fixed there.

What about Windows PCs. Does anybody found a solution?

I'm still getting "No Safari Extensions Certificate" in 10.11.4 Beta 6 (15E61b)

My certs are valid and expired certs have been removed.

The expired cert is not re-added by Safari, but it fails to notice the valid one?

Anybody else?

Nope, seems baked into the old Safari 5 as well, and that is definitely not going to get updated. No more using that hack to develop on windows I guess

I got that at first. Close everything down, remove the junk you added (if applicable)

Check WWDR under Login AND System, update both. Reboot. Worked for me

I'm stil having this problem.

I've removed everything, but every time I open the extension builder, it adds back the expired certificate.

Is anyone still seeing this?

This is the latest El Capitan and Safari.

Is your Safari Cert listed in "Certificates" and "My Certificates"?