Uploading archive error: "Missing iOS Distribution signing identity for ..."

I'm trying to upload my iOS app archive to iTunes Connect using Xcode, but when I click "Upload to App Store" I get the error that "Xcode attempted to locate or generate matching signing assets and failed to do so because of the following issues. Missing iOS Distribution signing identity for _____. Xcode can request one for you." I'm really confused, because I had literally just successfully uploaded an archive for the same app about 2 hours earlier, and then I needed to make one simple fix and then needed to reupload the archive, and now I'm getting this error. I literally did not touch anything else. I've done everything that I can think of to try fixing the problem, I restarted Xcode, my computer, went to Xcode preferences to click 'Download All' on the provisioning profiles, clicked "Reset" on the iOS Distribution on the same page, redownloaded the iOS distribution profile from the member center, went to the code signing settings in my app's build settings and manually set the release signing identity to the iOS distribution profile, and rearchived several times. Nothing is working. Help!

Edit: Here's the link about the expiring WWDRCA: https://developer.apple.com/support/certificates/expiration/

This is also confusing, because my app is just a normal iOS app that doesn't fit in any of those categories of people that need to take action. :S

I don't even know how to install the new certificate that they have a download link for. Just get "The System Roots keychain cannot be modified." in Keychain Access...

Accepted Reply

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the community and apologies for the issues you’ve been having. This issue stems from having a copy of the expired WWDR Intermediate certificate in both your System and Login keychains. To resolve the issue, you should first download and install the new WWDR intermediate certificate (by double-clicking on the file). Next, in the Keychain Access application, select the System keychain. Make sure to select “Show Expired Certificates” in the View menu and then delete the expired version of the Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certificate Authority Intermediate certificate (expired on February 14, 2016). Your certificates should now appear as valid in Keychain Access and be available to Xcode for submissions to the App Store.

Replies

PARTIALLY SOLVED!!!!

I found a quick fix when I was trying just about anything that came to my mind.

Change the computer date to before 14th of February (remove automatic date,13th will do). This way the keychain will take the old Certificate as valid and it will build the app as usual.

It's a lame patch, but at least it works for now and I'm able to build again. Hope it works for your guys.

Are you able to upload to the app store doing this?

Yay thank you! Genius hack lol. It works for me now but obviously I'm gonna change the date back on my computer immediately after I upload it and then hopefully Apple notices and fixes this problem ASAP...

Did it let you upload? If I change the time, I get a "No acounts with iTunes Connect access" message which goes away when I reset my clock back to the actual time.

I had to re-login to my developer account in Xcode preferences, but after that I was able to upload it. It's still currently uploading, so I don't know if it's gonna error out at the end, but it seems like it's working, fingers crossed.

Edit: It successfully uploaded and processed in iTunes Connect.

Removing my apple id and adding it back in seemed to work. Thanks!

This is a real pain in the ****. Setting the calendar back a day, then removing and re-entering my apple ID allowed the upload to go through. But it would be nice to know what it is we are really supposed to do (or if there is some problem with creation of the distribution certificates).

Followed the link of a post above to here:

https://developer.apple.com/support/certificates/expiration/

It pretty much explains the issue. The intermediary certificate expires today Feb. 14 2016. I downloaded the new certificate, double clicked it to add it to Keychain, and my archive was successfully uploaded to iTunes Connect after that. Hope that helps

That didn't work for many of us.

Same problem here.

+1, lost 90 mins to remove/add/remove/regenerate everything ... :\

Found a Solution!!:

In keychain access, go to View -> Show Expired Certificates, then in your login keychain highlight the expired WWDR Certificate and delete it. I also had the same expired certificate in my System keychain, so I deleted it from there too. After deleting the expired cert from the login and System keychains, I was able to build for Distribution again.

Hope it helps...

This reply in stack overflow just saved me, his solution worked out fine here => http://stackoverflow.com/a/35399656/5235465

The thing is that only adding the new WWDR certificate does not work, you also have to manually delete the expired WWDR certificate. Open the Keychain Access, go to View -> Show Expired Certificates. Delete the WWDR expired certificate from login and System keys and everything should work fine. The "invalid issuer" error is gone here now!

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the community and apologies for the issues you’ve been having. This issue stems from having a copy of the expired WWDR Intermediate certificate in both your System and Login keychains. To resolve the issue, you should first download and install the new WWDR intermediate certificate (by double-clicking on the file). Next, in the Keychain Access application, select the System keychain. Make sure to select “Show Expired Certificates” in the View menu and then delete the expired version of the Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certificate Authority Intermediate certificate (expired on February 14, 2016). Your certificates should now appear as valid in Keychain Access and be available to Xcode for submissions to the App Store.

Thanks much. I'd already deleted the expired one in the login keychain, however it was deleting the System one which solved the problem for me. Was able to archive and publish after that.