Asset catalogs and frameworks

Anybody know if there's a way to specify the bundle used for NSImage(named:)? As far as I know, that's the only way into a compiled asset catalog. Right now it looks like my framework is trying to load images from my app's asset catalog, which has different contents. I can access the framework's resources by getting the URL from NSBundle(forClass:) and working from there, but what I really want is the asset catalog.

Accepted Reply

Actually you can use an Asset Catalog with frameworks. I heard back on that bug report.

You need to use NSBundle's imageForResource: method.

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle bundleForClass:[self class]];

NSImage *image = [bundle imageForResource:@"ImageNameInAssetCatalog"];

Replies

The only way to get images from asset catalogs in frameworks is by using private APIs.

Was just about to ask the exact same question. UIImage has constructors that take a bundle as a param (not sure if they work with an AC, but I imagine they do), too bad OS X didn't get the same love.

It'd be nice if NSBundle's URLForImageResource: method worked with images in an Asset catalog, but it does not. I tried this:

NSURL *patternedBackgroundImageURL = [bundle URLForImageResource:@"PatternedBGImage"];
    NSImage *windowBackgroundColorImage = [[NSImage alloc]initWithContentsOfURL:patternedBackgroundImageURL];

Nooo good.

I filed a bug

Actually you can use an Asset Catalog with frameworks. I heard back on that bug report.

You need to use NSBundle's imageForResource: method.

NSBundle *bundle = [NSBundle bundleForClass:[self class]];

NSImage *image = [bundle imageForResource:@"ImageNameInAssetCatalog"];

Aha! Yeah, I also tried using -URLForImageResource: with an equal lack of success. I ended up just moving everything out of the asset catalog and using traditional resources, but you're right: -imageForResource: works!

Oddly enough, I haven't heard a peep about my radar (#24090114), but if I recall correctly, I filed mine as an enhancement request, not a bug. Maybe they pay less attention to enhancement requests.

This is returning nil on OS X 10.9.

Cheers,

Jay

Great solution — thank you.

There is also

-(UIImage*)[UIImage imageNamed:inBundle:compatibleWithTraitCollection:]