Symbolicating Crashes for Applications Submitted with Bitcode

In Xcode 7, we added the ability to include bitcode with your app submission. Including bitcode will allow Apple to re-optimize your app binary in the future without the need to submit a new version of your app to the store. Read App Thinning to learn more.

If you would like to view crashes that originated from your app distributed via TestFlight or App Store, you may use the Xcode Crashes Organizer.

Alternatively, you may retrieve and symbolicate crashes from a distributed app directly from your device using the Devices Window. Xcode will symbolicate the crashes found on your device automatically as long as you have the appropriate dSYMs and the app version that crashed. If you upload your app with bitcode, the App Store will compile your app from bitcode and retain the dSYMs necessary to symbolicate your application’s crashes. The dSYMs can be downloaded at any time using the Archive organizer’s Download dSYMs button. This button downloads the dSYMs from all bitcode compiled generations of your app and inserts them into the the original Archive used to upload your app. In order to download these dSYMs, you must retain the original archive used to upload the app.

For more information on symbolicating distributed apps directly from your device in the Devices window, read Analyzing Crash Reports.

Replies

Could you please confirm that submitting an app with bitcode included for an iOS target does not lose ability to symbolicate crash logs via Xcode crash organizer?

Umm, wasn't that kind of the whole point of the post?

I am pretty sure that it was but I would prefer to get a direct answer, e.g. "yes, it will be symbolicated".

So this means that services like Crashlytics and Hockey will not work for apps using bitcode, right? This is very much less than ideal if so.

Apple will provide symbolicated crash logs in Xcode for your submitted applications if you opt into bitcode. To receive symbolicated crash logs for your applications (whether or not they include bitcode) you must check the "Include app symbols" checkbox presented during the submission process. For more on the submission process, you can review the Archives Organizer Help document.

I make my App enable bitcode, archive my app, upload my app,then I can dowload and get two dSYM files in the dsym folder. But the problem is after changing app's version and some code, and archiving, uploading, I get two same dSYM files as the last. I cannot symblize the crash report using this two dSYM files beacuse this two files is wrong! Is it the bug in itunes connect? I try many times, but the dSYM files downloaded is always wrong.

Were you able to fix this? I'm having a similar issue at the moment.

Hello 15458434,

Would you please file a Radar at bugreport.apple.com? When filing the Radar please attach the archive that you are attempting to download dSYMs for. After you've created the Radar please reply back on this thread with the Radar number and we'll take a look.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Crhis,

My radar number is 23970219, I am still having problems symbolicating archives with enabled bitcode although "Include app symbols" was checked and iTunes Connect confirms that.

same issue here...

My Radar number is 24060966

thanks

Any update on this? There are a few radars on this thread and another similar thread with radars filed.

I too would like to know if there is any update. Included symbols and the version matches up in Xcode as documented, but I just see stack traces with hex addresses from my own code!

I've just updated my rdar://22327017. We're now getting crash reports, but not symbolicated.

Same here. I submit my apps the same way now. I submit both symbols and bitcode. One of my recent submissions does show symbolicated crashes but two apps submitted before do not.

When you guys look at the binary on iTC, does it say 'Include Symbols: Yes'? Mine don't (they all say 'No') despite me clicking the 'send symbols' box when I upload my builds.