Stuck at boot screen after updating to iOS 9.3

Summary:

After updating from iOS 9.2.1 beta to iOS 9.3 beta, the system stuck at boot screen and can't enter the system.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Safari and download iOS 9.3 Configuration Profile

2. The system required my iPad to restart after installing the configuration profile

3. Updating to iOS 9.3 in setting page after restart.

4. Boot screen was shown and can't enter the system. After a few minutes, the screen changed to blue and black then restart again. It loops again and again.

Here's my iPad's configuration: iPad Mini 2 / 32G Wifi Modal (A1489)

Accepted Reply

If that doesn't work and your iPad is still stuck in a boot-loop then you'll have to put it into DFU mode and restore it via iTunes. There are different methods for success with this, depending on exactly where in the boot process it's stuck, but Method 1 works in most cases:

Method 1)

• Attach the iPad to the pc
  • Turn the iPad off
  • Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
  • Release power but keep holding home until the computer beeps as a USB device is recognized (or until the restore starts).
  • At no point should the display come on. Now your restore should work.

Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.

Method 2)

• Hook up the iPad powered on to the computer with the iPad on
  • Now hold home / power until the iPad turns off and keep holding for 10 seconds. If the iPad ever turns on during this phase,start over and hold for less time.
  • Now release power and continue holding home until the computer recognizes the iPad.

Method 3)

• Turn the iPad off
  • Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home.
  • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
  • At no point will the display come on.

-Max.

Replies

I was seeing the same thing with my iPad Pro. I force-rebooted (home+power) it and I was able to get in.

If that doesn't work and your iPad is still stuck in a boot-loop then you'll have to put it into DFU mode and restore it via iTunes. There are different methods for success with this, depending on exactly where in the boot process it's stuck, but Method 1 works in most cases:

Method 1)

• Turn the iPad off
  • Release power but keep holding home until the computer beeps as a USB device is recognized (or until the restore starts).
  • At no point should the display come on. Now your restore should work.

Having problems? Try adjusting the 10 seconds to be slightly less like 9 seconds, then 8, then 7. It’s a tricky timing but you will eventually get it.

Method 2)

• Hook up the iPad powered on to the computer with the iPad on
  • Now hold home / power until the iPad turns off and keep holding for 10 seconds. If the iPad ever turns on during this phase,start over and hold for less time.
  • Now release power and continue holding home until the computer recognizes the iPad.

Method 3)

• Turn the iPad off
  • Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home.
  • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
  • At no point will the display come on.

-Max.

I tried to force-rebooted (home+power) and failed to get it in. Maybe need to carry DFU restore method...

My iPad Pro was stuck at the Apple Logo screen after installing iOS 9.3 via OTA. Tried again via DFU ... now just restoring the device using the downloaded version.

Similar experience on iPad 3rd gen WiFi going from 9.2.1 beta to 9.3 beta. Emailed configuration profile, tapped profile in email on device. After restart, did update through Settings > General > Software Update. Device restarted and updated (slow progress bar). When it restarted again (as it normally does during an update), it got stuck at the Apple logo (no progress bar). After a long while it rebooted again, and this repeated. As others noted, workaround was to DFU device / restore from IPSW / restore backup instead.

I had the same exact problem with my iPad Pro. I followed METHOD 1 (althought didn't have a PC so used a MAC) and now it's restoring the software for IOS 9.3, but don't know yet if that will fix the launch window, I'll update after that is dne. I mainly just wated to post that I also had the "stuck on the apple" screen too.

UPDATE:

Nope, even after a force restore as mentioned in METHOD 1, it still got stuck on the APPLE launch screen. I don't know if this matters, but I did not do the original update via OTA. I never got that option. I had to get it from the web site, hold down OPTION while clicking update and get the update manually. I still had the same result as all of you - stuck on launch screen, but I wated to point that out, in case some og you thought this happened because you tried it from the sofware update OTA option.

There's just something broke and Apple will have to figue this out. Meanwhile, they sould at least pull this update for the iPad since the other option (iPhone) had no problems at all.

Same problem here too, but only with iPad. The iphone update went smoothly. Also, I never got the OTA option, I had to go download it manually, then hold down OPTION while clicking update, to go locate the manual download update for 9.3 I was finally forced to do the following:

Hold down start button + home button till shut down

Continue holding HOME key only for 10 seconds while plugged into the computer

iTunes then made me wipe the iPad Pro OS reinstalling 9.2 in it's place - wiping the ipad completely

Bummer!

UPDATE:

Ok now I wondering if anyonr at Apple EVER tested this at all even once on a single iPad - any model? Ever iPad I've tried to install this on has resulted in not only the lock up on the start screen, but the evetual reformatting of each as well, because there was no way to install 9.3 without resorting to a complete reinstall of 9.2

I had no problems with my iPhone, but 4 out of 4 ipads? Really? I have the iPad mini 4, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 (2 of them). These arent old iPads by a long shot, so what gives. 0-4 on iPad installs??

Happened on my 6s Plus too - stuck at halfway - force powerdown with power/home pressed for 10 seconds then let go, then normal powerup almost immediately prompted a "update now" slide screen for me to enter my passcode - then successful update

Adding to the chorus: iPad Air, showed progress bar once, restarted, never made it past Apple logo (waited 5min?). Had trouble following accepted answer of Power+Home button without it coming on before 10s. Got the plug-into-itunes logo finally when I held down home button while plugging it into USB on my Macbook.

Same problem with 5th Generation 16GB iPod touch. Updated using the configuration profile. Stuck on boot with just the Apple logo. Not looping, just endless display of the apple...

Update...

Recovery mode restore worked.

someone return ?

Temporarry workaround could be do not reboot after installing iOS 9.3b1 and wait till Apple releases beta2. Working OK for me untill reboot, but after reboot always stucks at Apple logo. iPad model: A1475 . Restore from iTunes and then from iCloud helps, but again, until next reboot only.

Hi all,

Thank you for reporting this issue here, but we would greatly appreciate it if you all could file detailed bugs at bugreporter.apple.com as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Bug # 24170769 reported.

I am having the same issue with my iPad 2. I tried a number of attempts to recover and always got the Apple logo and then it finally ran out of battery. I am going to have to agree with others, don't think this was ever tested on the iPad. My Mac Mini at least got me to a progress bar where the PC just did nothing. I honestly don't use the iPad for anything other than playing card games because IOS 9 just killed its performance. I think I'll be staying at 9.2 for the rest of this device's life.