Running iOS Simulator prevents my High Sierra MBP from sleeping after display goes off.

Hi guys,

Ever since I upgraded to High Sierra my MPB 2016 denies to go to sleep after a period of inactivity. Display shuts off, but sleep doesn't come. If I command it to sleep or close the lid, it sleeps.

After troubleshooting it for a day I narrowed the problem down to iOS simulator running (and not sure if it's its sharingd process, but it looks like it). Problem happens either or not I have iCloud enabled on the simulator device. Problem happens for both iPhone SE 10.3 and iPhone X 11.1 simulator. It doesn't matter if simulator executes some app or not. Just having the simulator running is causing the issue.

Once I Quit the simulator, MPB goes to sleep after a period of inactivity as expected. When simulator runs, it shuts down the display, but vents keep working forever, no sleep.

Any chance you can check/reply if this is not hapenning in your case on High Sierra? So I'd know if problem is localized to my MPB/environment.

Regards,

Stan.

Replies

Confirm you environment and process here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25522?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

...specifically 'Apps: Apps that access a disk can keep your Mac from going to sleep.'

I have also confirmed SpringBoard which appears to be associated with the iOS simulator is "Preventing Sleep" according to activity monitor.

This has led to quite a bit of additional power consumption overnight that I had failed to realize for quite some time (until getting a keyboard with LEDs that i noticed never turned off until quitting the simulator and letting the computer sleep)

I have just updated to macOS Monterey and Xcode 13.1 and I now have the problem where the iOS Simulator stops my m1 MacBook from sleeping.

It is the Springboard process in the activity monitor that is constantly running and prevents sleep.

This closes fine if I quit the simulator, so confirms your analysis above.

Did you ever get an update from Apple on this issue?

Can confirm - I have exactly the same issue - Macbook Pro 16" M1 Max running Monterey 12.0.1 and Xcode 13.1 2,5%points per hour or 100%->80% in 8 hours

Are there any updates on this? I have a new MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro and even if there is nothing connected to the Mac and I close the lid, it seems to not go to sleep and loses significant battery. I had 30% yesterday and today it was completely empty and I needed to charge it at least 2 minutes before it turned back on.

Would be nice to have the option to have the Simulator not preventing the sleep.

Same issue here on M1, 2020, with OS version 12.0.1. iOS Simulator fault for sure. Usually I would just close the lid, put my laptop inside case and be sure it will go to sleep. But this does not happen if iOS Simulator stays on, so each time I have to remember to quit Simulator when closing the laptop. Otherwise it gets crazy hot after few hours, I even fear it might do some damage to it.

Same problem here with a new 14" MBP, Monterey 12.0.1 and Xcode 13.1. Whenever the iPhone simulator is running, the MBP never goes to sleep and runs down the battery. I usually only run the 12 Pro simulator, so I am not sure if other simulators would cause the same problem.

These 4 years of not fixing this issue is probably a silent statement from Apple that it works as designed.

• Same issue here with Big Sur 11.6.4. SpringBoard keeps running even after closing the simulator. I need to quit Xcode to allow the computer to sleep. This is really annoying !!!

Add a Comment