closing braces not automatically inserted despite Preference setting (C++)

Did something change in Xcode 9 regarding the “automatically insert closing braces” preference? My checkbox for that option has been set for a long time. After I installed Xcode 9 (now at 9.0.1) the behavior changed in an unexpected way. If I am at “top level” — at the left margin, not inside a brace body — and I type an open brace:

void foo()
{<cursor_here>

then a return, I see:

void foo()
{
   <cursor_here>
}

which is what I expect. But if I am inside a brace body, I do not see the automatic insertion of the close brace:

void foo(bool b)
{
    if (b)
    {<cursor_here>
}

After a return I see:

void foo(bool b)
{
    if (b)
    {
        <cursor_here>
}

with no automatically inserted close brace. While trying this, I noticed that the close brace IS inserted if the open brace is not on its own line:

void foo(bool b)
{
    if (b) {<cursor_here>
}

After typing return:

void foo(bool b)
{
    if (b) {
        <cursor_here>
    }
}

Is there a way to get the pre-Xcode-9 behavior back?

Accepted Reply

This appears to be fixed in Xcode 9.2
🙂

Replies

Happens in objc files also. I filed a bug report in Sept. about this (mis)behaviour occurring in Xcode 9 GM and the bug was closed as duplicate.

Thanks for letting me know. “Misery loves company.”

This appears to be fixed in Xcode 9.2
🙂

the same issue in xcode 10

It's started happening to me, too in Xcode 10, but I don't get a closing brace at any time and it happens only in one .cpp file in one project. Other files in the project are fine. I read another post that said the feature was disabled if the file included a block comment, but that hasn't affected other files. The file is over 1,100 lines, so maybe it's just the size of the file that's confused the editor? I suspect there's some anomaly in the way I've used braces somewhere that's not technically an error but the editor just doesn't want to keep track of it anymore.