iTunes Connect won't accept new HSBC UK IBAN

In July 2017 I got a letter from HSBC saying that the IBAN for my UK account would be changing on October 21st 2017 (today). My current IBAN begins with "GB23MIDL" and the new one begins with "GB60HBUK". I tried to update my banking details in iTunes Connect but it gives an error "Please enter a valid IBAN."

I'm guessing that the system has a big list of valid IBAN prefixes and it hasn't been updated with the new one? Or maybe it's an off-by-one error and it will work on October 22nd?

Accepted Reply

FYI, I've just received the following reply to my ticket.

"The issue has been resolved. The bank instructed our banking partner not to implement the update until mid November. You may now be able to update your banking."

Replies

My IBAN change isn't sticking. The Edit page on iTunes Connect now accepts the new IBAN as valid, and lets you save it. But i've tried it twice now, and both times it has reverted back to the original IBAN after the banking page lets you back in to see your account details again. I'll wait until tomorrow, and if it's still not using the new number, I'll raise it with Apple.

It's the same for me, I've already waited for a day and also updated twice. I'm not sure if I should riase a new ticket or try adding it as a new account...

Aaargh! You're right, mine has reverted too.

OK, since a number of us are seeing the same failure, there’s obviously a bug somewhere, so I’ve reported this to Apple, just piggybacking on my existing support ticket related to the original problem. There seems little point in waiting.

I have had exactly the same problem. Originally the new IBAN could not be validated. Now that it can I also get the same message "......So it can not be associated with US Dollar at this time" and then the new IBAN does not stick. I have also kept my original support ticket open and reported exactly the same issue to Apple.

What I am able to add here is the message I received from our HSBC case manager in relation to the IBAN changes. His response was:

"Payments quoting the old details will be re-directed to your new account details - payment re-direction is in place until 2019. This should ensure that payments do reach your account."

Hopefully Apple Finance will have sorted this out by 2019!

Has anyone managed to get their IBAN successfully changed yet? The system recognises my new IBAN and shows me a screen where it asks me to confirm my change. I do that (or so I think). The confirmation screen tells me "Banking update in progress, your changes should be reflected within 24 hours." and do I receive a ''App Store Banking Update' email a little while later. However, the screen that tells me the update is in progress also has a Save button. If I press that, I see an error message "Banking update in progress for bank account (***). So it can not be associated with US Dollar at this time." I've tried not pressing that too, but the final result is always the same: no change to my IBAN.

Is there some final confirmation step I'm unable to get past because of that extra Save button? If so, why do I get an email telling me a change has been made? I can't actually see my IBAN until many hours after receiving the email, and when I can see it again, it's still my old one!

I've had many emails back and forth with Apple Support and most recently they said "Our production team states there is nothing preventing you from updating your banking at this time. Please try again." I did try again, and I'm seeing the exact same behaviour: a screen which claims my change is being processed with what seems to be a redundant Save button that shows an error when I press it; an email which claims the change has been processed; and when I look at my account the following day, nothing has changed!

I think I'm going to have to try and delete my bank details and try and set up a new account...

Not yet. I’ve been in discussion with support and they’re of the opinion that they’re going to have to put this through manually for me. The email I got said:

“After further review, I believe the root of your trouble is related to the HSBC Bank changes. Although iTunes Connect is showing the correct bank details, some of our payment systems have not been completely updated yet. Please complete the attached banking form and I will request a manual update to your banking details in our payment systems. I cannot predict how long it will take for all of our systems to update for HSBC Bank but in the meantime, I do not wish your payments to be delayed unnecessarily.”

I’m waiting on this month‘s payment going through first, then I’ll start this process, as payments are still going through fine just now under whatever contingency measures HSBC have in place. From what Apple are saying, whatever is wrong in the system means there’s not going to be anything you can do to put this change through yourself at this point in time.

I have also been in discussion with Support but were adviced something different. They asked me to try and add my bank details with the new IBAN number as a new bank account instead of editing the existing one. I was then meant to be able to select the new bank account from the drop down list "Select a different Bank Account:" inside the "Banking Information" window. They sent me instructions on how to do that which I followed to the letter. However, the system did not behave in the way they told me it would. I sent them screenshots and even made a screen video at their request. I was then assured that the production team would work on fixing the issue. Today I got an email from them saying the problem has been fixed and could I please try again. I did but, unfortunately, nothing has chaged.This has been very frustrating to say the least.

Why is iTunes Finance Support telling us different developers different things. Do they actually know what the root of the problem is? I am going to contact Apple Developer Relations in the UK and ask them for help.

Same issues. My solution was there were changes in the currency used in the iBooks Store in my country: USDollar to Brazilian Real. At the time I was asked to create an EIN (US Tax ID) in order to publish books so Apple legally ranks the writer as a company not an individual. It was extremelly difficult to find a solution to the problem having to find out by myself: just enter into iTunes Connect\Contact US\Contracts and Legal and request an "entity change" from Company to "Sole\Individual", thereby solving all legal conflicts in banking/brazilian tax id (CPF) and all this messages above. Of course I had a huge problem to explain/to be not misunderstood to express in real terms what was my request.

Has anyone been able to do this yet?

I just tried again this morning. I get the same problems as six months ago. Trying to edit the IBAN for my account leads to several confirmation screens (seemingly one more than really ought to be necessary) and the last one fails with an error telling me "Banking update in progress for bank account... So it can not be associated with US Dollar at this time." I get a banking email update email, but when I look back in iTunes Connect the old IBAN is there.

I tried to create a new bank account with the same sort code and account (since I don't actually have a new bank account!) with the new IBAN and iTunes Connect said it would edit the existing account with the same sort code and account number. No errors this time. But nothing changed either.

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove my bank account and start again.

Mine has changed, but the support team had to (eventually) enter my new banking details for me. So, in my case this was done behind the scenes, and I've no idea if the web interface works for some people, but from what you're saying it doesn't sound like it.

Hi!

I've struggled with this problem for a long time. Hope this next information helps some of you.

In my case the problem with IBAN not being accepted was that the Bank NIB was not matching NIB information.

In my case BPI PORTUGAL.

This happened because I've added my (correct) bank branch nib code 0010 1913 instead of the main/generic code 0010 0000 which appears in the IBAN.

I have the same bank and i've tried to use the generic nib but it's still not accepting.

I'm getting this error: "This bank account number is the wrong length. Please edit the bank account information and fix the bank account number."

I was about to finally raise another support ticket as Rob said that was the only way he could get it fixed. I checked my details again and to my great surprise, my IBAN prefix *has* changed. I'm sure it didn't stick the last time I tried (May 12th 2018). I had tried to edit my account and create a new one (which offered to update the existing account record since I already had one with the same account details). Neither change would stick.

But I checked again this morning (I've not doing anything for 10 days) and now I see the new value! I've no idea whether something I did 10 days ago actually worked or if they've done some sort of conversion their end to update values. But, finally, 7 months after this all started it looks like I've got the correct details!

Thanks everyone for discussing their experiences.

Geoff.