Test target: Timed out waiting for simulator to boot

We're getting 10 errors every time a bot is run. Each error looks like this:

Error: Uncategorized: Test target Tests encountered an error (Timed out waiting 120 seconds for simulator to boot, current state is 1. If you believe this error represents a bug, please attach the log file at /Library/Developer/XcodeServer/Integrations/Integration-863d69d5efb05c26c9490d1c10056164/Session-2015-07-06_16:01:08-hXQWog.log)

The log file referred to doesn't exist. The "/Library/Developer/XcodeServer/Integrations/" directory exists but it only includes a directory names Caches.

Build and analyze are successful, but the tests do not run. The tests run successfully from my development machine. This problem seems to come and go.

Sometimes we create a new bot for a branch and the errors don't initially occur, but start occurring later. On other bots, the errors initially occur, but stop occurring after several of integrations. Our integration usually takes 3 minutes. When the 10 errors occur, the integration takes 21 minutes.

We're using OS X 10.10.4 (14E46), OS X Server 4.1.3 (14S1127), and Xcode 6.4 (6E35b), but have seen these errors on and off for months.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Replies

I just searched for 'Timed out waiting 120 seconds for simulator' in the forums and found two other posts with the same or similar problem.

Xcode Server Simulator Times Out

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/5476

Xcode bots - simulator timeout on launch

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/6763#6763

I'm seeing this issue also, any luck?

Same here. Have you been able to fix it? Thanks!

Please file bug reports (using the Report Bugs link at the bottom of this page). Any one of you might provide important clues to figure out what's up here. If you haven't already, please also update to Xcode 7, or the most recent 7.1 beta, to see if the problem is still unresolved. Thanks!

@joar

I filed a rdar for this (23386199) and while I looked for a workaround, I ran into another issue (23416075).

Next step on my "let's try this list": Xcode 7.2 beta2

Thanks for your bug reports!

Running into this today via our build scripts. Unit tests pass in Xcode, but simulator fails to boot via xcodebuild.

One of the root causes of the issue is missing files in runtime which were used in the build.

Description: I ran into this issue when I was running the app via XCode on Mac but the code was accessing files from GitHub.

Solution: I pulled the entire package on the local Mac repository and re-ran the app, It worked.

Root Cause: As the execution engine was fetching the files from Github in real-time, perhaps that is why the simulator was timed out