Animated stickers stopped animating in iOS 10.3.3

I created a Stickerpack which has stopped animating when I upgraded to iOS 10.3.3 from 10.3.2.

The majority of my animated stickers have stopped working.

Has anyone else experiencd this? I filed a bug with Apple last week, but have not heard back.

Accepted Reply

I'm seeing the same thing, across hundreds of packs. Everyone reading this needs to file a bug report soon... https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

I don't think its necessarily an APNG thing. Yes it might only be the APNG's that are failing, but there's got to be something code wise on the iMessage side thats preventing them from playing.

Plus its really random which ones aren't playing, yet I'm sure every developer used the same software / tools for each APNG in their pack.

File the bug report folks, or it won't get fixed and it'll cost us money because to customers it will just look like they aren't animated.

Replies

Hi!
I have the same problem with an unpublished iMessage Extension: APNGs work fine on my collegue iphone 10.0.0 while are static on my ipad pro after the update to 10.3.3.

I have reported the problem with bug report #33615796

MY BUG NUMBER IS 33692735

I'm having the same issue! 😟

I have discovered one thing. When opening the APNGs on a mac in the previews app the ones working will show all the frames on the left and the ones not working will only show a pictures with no frames on the left. SO i guess it's not only an iOS issue. All APNGs work though if run them in the simulator. Does it have anything to do with compression?

I just submitted bug #33742706. My in-production animated sticker pack has only 3 of 28 stickers animating, all worked properly in 10.3.2.

Same here. Suddenly no animated gifs in Messages (iOS 10.3.3). Yesterday they were there; today gone. Reported bug: 33781115

Thank you.

iOS 11 Beta 5 looks to have fixed it!! =)

Hi, I have noticed that the not working stickers were the heaviest ones. The heaviest working well, that means with visible animation, was 94 Mb. The lightest not working was 120 Mb. So I optimized each png to have them all smaller than 100 Mb. I made a new build and uploaded it on testflight... Every png shows the animation now!!! The bug in Xcode remains, but this is a workaround.

This worked! I converted everything to APNG files as you suggested instead of using the Sticker Sequence in Xcode.

The animations are now running on iOS 10.3.3 and 11 beta.

I hope you mean kb instead of mb. Max sticker size is 500kb.

Having the same problem. I reported it as a bug as suggested but I have a feeling im going to have to do something myself to get it to work.

Did you download Beta 5? Seems to be working again.

EEP! Beta 5 was perfect again. Just downloaded Beta 6 and the problem is back. Worse now actually, as the screen at one point just went blank and said "Unable to Load"

Same issue. Bug number 33912401.

Sticker pack: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-goes-meow/id1265662844?mt=8

I had this issue as well. I have many stickers that are APNG and also some that I animated using PNG animator, then imported to my sticker pack. Everything was working find before update 10.3.3. Out of my 25 stickers I had only about 5-6 that seemed to animate. It was a combination of both the APNG and the ones I used a 3rd party animator that were working seems to be random as to which ones worked and didnt.

I found out that if I took my original images and ran them through a compressor like tinyPNG, then imported them to PNG animator they worked with version 10.3.3

Sorry...😁 Yes, I mean kb!!!