Xcode 16 Doesn't Display "Swift Compiler" Build Settings Sections

I am editing my iOS project in Xcode 16 and want to use the "Swift Compiler - Upcoming Features" section of the build settings to selectively enable the new Swift 6 language features.

I have read the instructions for doing this and have dowloaded an Apple sample project and can see that section under the project and target-level Build Settings in the sample project

However, when I open my Xcode project in XCode 16 that section does not appear.

Is there any way for me to influence how Xcode 16 displays the build settings?

In fact, no "Swift Compiler" sections appear at all under my project Build Settings (All | Combined). There is a "User-Defined" section that has the Swift Version, Compilation Mode and Optimization level.

The project itself is several years old and was on a very old project version. I have upgraded my project document format to "Xcode 16" but it made no difference.

I have compared my project and the sample project in a text editor and both seem to have similar structure. I tried removing unused and outdated settings from my project but that also had no effect.

Is there an alternative to deleting my project file and adding the source files to it? I have a large project with multiple targets so that would be something I'd rather not do.

Xcode 16 Doesn't Display "Swift Compiler" Build Settings Sections

Q