Can I preview "regular" view in widget extension?

Basically, in my widget/live activity, I want to extract reusable views into a separate file with an isolated view and preview. Dummy example below.

I cannot do it because it says "missing previewcontext".

The only way I've found is to add the view to my main app target, but I don't want to clutter my main app wiews that only exist in my widgets if I can avoid it.

Can this be done somehow? Thoughts appreciated.

Dummy example (tried with and without "previewLayout":

struct StatusActivityView: View {

let status: UserStatusData

var body: some View {
        VStack(alignment: .center) {
            Text("Dummy example")
        }.background(.blue).padding(5)
    }
}

@available(iOS 16.2, *)
struct StatusActivityView_Previews: PreviewProvider {
    static var previews: some View {
        let status = WidgetConstants.defaultEntry()
        return StatusActivityView(status: status).previewLayout(.sizeThatFits)
    }
}
Answered by Frameworks Engineer in 793568022

Widget processes are constrained in many ways and arbitrary previews of any Swift UI view that doesn't have a widget context is not supported at this time. But you can extract your common views into a separate framework and preview within that. Previews uses its own host executable for frameworks that don't run in a widget process. Then your widget target can import that framework to use the views in the widget display.

Accepted Answer

Widget processes are constrained in many ways and arbitrary previews of any Swift UI view that doesn't have a widget context is not supported at this time. But you can extract your common views into a separate framework and preview within that. Previews uses its own host executable for frameworks that don't run in a widget process. Then your widget target can import that framework to use the views in the widget display.

OK, thanks

Can I preview "regular" view in widget extension?

Q