Multiplayer testing with the new TabletopKit

Hey,

Just watched and started investigating a new TabletopKit framework, which looks fantastic.

I'm looking at how multiplayer can be tested. Found info about testing on multiple real devices here - https://developer.apple.com/documentation/tabletopkit/tabletopkitsample#Start-a-multiplayer-game-on-devices

I wanted to ask about options for testing multiplayer on simulators, maybe with a simulator + a single real device.

Unfortunately, having multiple VisionPros for indie development is unrealistic, so I hope there are ways to do it.

Answered by Vision Pro Engineer in 790466022

Currently FaceTime and SharePlay are not supported for the simulator. TabletopKit networking requires an active SharePlay session, so it requires two Apple Vision Pro devices at the moment.

Currently FaceTime and SharePlay are not supported for the simulator. TabletopKit networking requires an active SharePlay session, so it requires two Apple Vision Pro devices at the moment.

As of Xcode 16, the visionOS simulator has support for simulated FaceTime calls.

From the Xcode 16 release notes:

Xcode 16’s visionOS simulator now includes support for simulated FaceTime calls. You can use this feature to test your SharePlay experience with a simulated group session on the visionOS simulator.

To start a simulated visionOS FaceTime call, select one of the participant configurations in the “FaceTime” submenu of the simulator’s “Features” menubar item. For example, select Features > FaceTime > User and 4 Spatial Participants to start a call with four simulated participants using their spatial Personas.

You can see a walkthrough of the new feature in this related WWDC session.

This feature should allow you to enter an active SharePlay session and test the basics of your SharePlay activity – but does not allow for testing of two-way messaging since the simulated participants will never join your SharePlay activity.

Multiplayer testing with the new TabletopKit

Q